About the opportunity
The Forensic & Litigation Consulting practice offers one of the industry's most complete range of advisory services to clients across the world. Our service offerings include anti-money laundering compliance and investigations; Bribery and corruption investigations; forensic accounting; fraud and other financial crime investigations; governance, risk and regulatory advice; regulatory investigations and litigation support and transactional data analytics.
Data Science is a fast-growing team of highly talented data scientists with backgrounds across various disciplines, focusing on applying statistical analysis, stochastic models, machine learning algorithms, and domain knowledge to client and external datasets. With an emphasis on research and development, we specialise in leveraging cloud computing, and advanced cutting-edge algorithms and models to not just extract signals from data, but project into the future. Our clients range from governments to financial institutions to Silicon Valley tech start-ups.
Our interns will be encouraged to voice their thoughts on developing and improving any of our project pipelines, and to be part of the team to complete these tasks. Our projects range from long-term to proof-of-concept in nature, in such diverse areas as litigation support, time-series analysis, geo-spatial modelling, and communications analytics. The spectrum of projects that you will be exposed to should provide you with a holistic impression of life as a data scientist.
- Descriptive analysis of client datasets
- Enrich existing project datasets with new sources through individual research
- Statistical analysis, transformation, and cleaning of datasets
- Propose and implement (code) alternatives and refinements to models, to enhance pipeline robustness, efficiency, and performance
- Research into latest progress in the realm of machine learning and statistical analysis, and how these developments can be applied to current project pipelines or future prospects
- Graduate with a minimum of a 2:1 bachelor’s degree in a subject that involves computer science, technology, data analytics, or any other STEM subjects
- Experience with Python or other programming language
- Experience with basic data wrangling/cleaning in a dataframe package (e.g. R’s data.frame, or Python’s pandas)
- Familiarity with an SQL-like language
- Reasonable knowledge of fundamental computer science concepts (time/space complexity, hashing, simple algos for sorting/searching/etc.)
- At least a basic foundational stats course (confidence regions, families of distributions, r.vs, measures of fit)
- Knowledge of general ML concepts (training/test, cross-validation, supervised/unsupervised learning, regression and classification, clustering, over/under-fitting, ensemble methods, dimension reduction and feature extraction)
- For at least a few specific models—e.g. trees, forests, FFNNs, gradient boosting, SVMs, k-means… though not necessarily all of these—to know how they actually work, algorithms involved, etc.
- Having worked with linux/*nix systems, bash scripting, SSH, etc. is useful but not expected
- Familiarity of ML frameworks like Torch or TensorFlow, or big data frameworks like Spark might be desirable, but definitely not essential
- Passion for problem-solving and strong analytical skills
- Ability to be a team player
- Willingness to research, analyse and develop new skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
What we offer you
As a Data Scientist with FTI, you’ll work alongside people from a range of backgrounds. Within your first year, you will have the chance to work on multiple projects and proof-of-concepts in different domains, with opportunities to specialise according to what interests you. Your colleagues will challenge you, and help you to grow in both technical and business capabilities.
You’ll develop advanced machine learning models, leveraging high performance servers within an AWS tech stack to test and deploy your work. With a strong focus on learning and R&D, and an environment that values input from employees of all levels, you’ll be expected to put forward your own ideas, and encouraged to upskill in areas that interest you—particularly as we expand our capabilities to include distributed computing and GPU accelerated training.
We also offer you:
- A very competitive salary and benefits package
- The chance to be part of the intellectually challenging and intriguing projects that would develop your technical and professional project management ability
- The environment where inputs from everyone is highly valued and will be discussed and challenged in detail
- The chance to work with experienced professionals from a range of backgrounds and expertise
- The chance to enrol in learning programmes and be part of various research & development projects
Applications close 18 November 2019
About FTI Consulting:
FTI Consulting, Inc. is a global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organisations manage change, mitigate risk and resolve disputes: financial, legal, operational, political & regulatory, reputational and transactional. With more than 4,900 employees located in 27 countries, FTI Consulting professionals work closely with clients to anticipate, illuminate and overcome complex business challenges and make the most of opportunities. The Company generated $1.81 billion in revenues during fiscal year 2017. For more information, visit www.fticonsulting.com and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting continually strives to offer employees and eligible dependents, including domestic partners and eligible domestic partner children, a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!