Duration: 8 weeks – Monday, 29 June until 28 August 2019
The Forensic & Litigation Consulting practice offers one of the industry's most complete range of advisory services to clients across the world. Our service offerings include anti-money laundering compliance and investigations; Bribery and corruption investigations; forensic accounting; fraud and other financial crime investigations; governance, risk and regulatory advice; regulatory investigations and litigation support and transactional data analytics.
Data Science is a fast-growing team of highly talented data scientists with backgrounds across various disciplines, focusing on applying statistical analysis, stochastic models, machine learning algorithms, and domain knowledge to client and external datasets. With an emphasis on research and development, we specialise in leveraging cloud computing, and advanced cutting-edge algorithms and models to not just extract signals from data, but project into the future. Our clients range from governments to financial institutions to Silicon Valley tech start-ups.
Our interns will be encouraged to voice their thoughts on developing and improving any of our project pipelines, and to be part of the team to complete these tasks. Our projects range from long-term to proof-of-concept in nature, in such diverse areas as litigation support, time-series analysis, geo-spatial modelling, and communications analytics. The spectrum of projects that you will be exposed to should provide you with a holistic impression of life as a data scientist.
- Descriptive analysis of client datasets
- Enrich existing project datasets with new sources through individual research
- Statistical analysis, transformation, and cleaning of datasets
- Propose and implement (code) alternatives and refinements to models, to enhance pipeline robustness, efficiency, and performance
- Research into latest progress in the realm of machine learning and statistical analysis, and how these developments can be applied to current project pipelines or future prospects
- In the penultimate year of studying a degree in a subject that involves computer science, technology, data analytics, or any other STEM subjects
- Experience with Python or other programming language
- Experience with basic data wrangling/cleaning in a dataframe package (e.g. R’s data.frame, or Python’s pandas)
- Familiarity with an SQL-like language
- Reasonable knowledge of fundamental computer science concepts (time/space complexity, hashing, simple algos for sorting/searching/etc.)
- At least a basic foundational stats course (confidence regions, families of distributions, r.vs, measures of fit)
- Knowledge of general ML concepts (training/test, cross-validation, supervised/unsupervised learning, regression and classification, clustering, over/under-fitting, ensemble methods, dimension reduction and feature extraction)
- For at least a few specific models—e.g. trees, forests, FFNNs, gradient boosting, SVMs, k-means… though not necessarily all of these—to know how they actually work, algorithms involved, etc.
- Having worked with linux/*nix systems, bash scripting, SSH, etc. is useful but not expected
- Familiarity of ML frameworks like Torch or TensorFlow, or big data frameworks like Spark might be desirable, but definitely not essential
- Passion for problem-solving and strong analytical skills
- Ability to be a team player
- Willingness to research, analyse and develop new skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
What we offer you:
- The chance to be part of the intellectually challenging and intriguing projects that would develop your technical and professional project management ability
- The environment where inputs from everyone is highly valued and will be discussed and challenged in detail
- The chance to work with experienced professionals from a range of backgrounds and expertise
- The opportunity to be considered for a graduate consultant role once graduated
FTI Consulting offers a competitive and attractive reward package, excellent training and development opportunities, a supportive and friendly environment and the opportunity to achieve your full potential.
FTI Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications close: 31 January 2020
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting is a global business advisory firm, dedicated to helping organisations navigate and manage a diverse range of complex issues and business challenges. Our expertise covers the spectrum of Corporate Finance & Restructuring, Economic Consulting, Forensic & Litigation Consulting, Strategic Communications and Technology. We are a company of more than 4,900 professionals with annual revenues in excess of $1.8 billion, with offices located in every major business centre in the world.
Our professionals are some of the most experienced leaders in their fields and advise across a range of industries. Our clients engage us for high-stakes concerns or emerging opportunities that require specialised expertise, and over the past two decades we have been engaged to work behind the headlines on some of the biggest news stories to date.
FTI Consulting is a fast growing and vibrant place to work. Steered by our values of Integrity, Creativity, Achievement, Empathy and Respect, its meritocratic culture invites both collaboration and healthy debate. We are large enough to be trusted by our clients to solve their biggest issues and yet small enough to know our colleagues on a personal level enabling better team working and a supportive culture to develop your career goals and ambitions.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!