Yorkshire and the Humber +5
Our Geospatial & Data Services team is looking for an enthusiastic Geographical Information Systems (GIS) graduate to join our busy Geospatial & Data Services team. This is a full-time, permanent role within a team of more than 30 staff located in offices across the UK and Ireland. We will pair you with an experienced member of the team who’ll be your guide and mentor as you start to work on live projects.
At AECOM, Our focus is providing GIS and data management expertise on large environmental and infrastructure projections, as well as developing systems – such as mobile data capture, creation of toolsets for analysis or data analysis platforms – so other AECOM disciplines can carry out their work.
Recent development projects carried out by the Geospatial & Data Services team include:
- Land access and survey request website for a large infrastructure project
- Analysis toolset in SQL Server to assist in SHLAA Site Assessments
- Arboriculture survey data import system, using Arc PAD, Sharp Map and SQL Server to process data ready for reporting
- Web and database tools to improve QA / QC processes on a city-wide cycle infrastructure capture project
Geospatial & Data Services is part of AECOM’s Environment business. AAECOM’s planners, economists, designers, environmental specialists, architects, engineers, programme managers and technicians work collaboratively to address complex challenges at all scales. We regenerate urban areas, cities and regions; we create distinctive buildings and public spaces; we plan for the management of open space and natural systems; and we design and deliver infrastructure programmes.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
Your initial role will be to assist with tasks such as:
- Data capture, management, analysis and validation
- Data conversion and integration
- Map production
- Spatial and 3D analysis
- Design and build spatial and non-spatial databases
- Use of coding, automation and technology to efficiently deliver workflows and provide innovation into projects
- Meeting with internal clients to determine GIS requirements
You’ll provide critical GIS input to delivering projects on time and budget. You should be innovative and creative with strong interpersonal communication skills, and you should be comfortable working independently and in an interdisciplinary multi-cultural team.
You’ll provide GIS support on a range of projects, including support to high-profile major transport and infrastructure schemes, conventional and renewable power developments, other industrial and commercial development projects, as well as GIS / Data Management projects directly led by the Geospatial & Data Services team.
You will need to be flexible in order to occasionally work from other AECOM or client offices depending on project requirements.
- Applied GIS, GIS, Geography, Geoinformation Technology & Cartography – ideally Masters level
- Solid foundation in ArcGIS desktop software and extensions
- Sound understanding of spatial data structures and fundamental concepts of GIS
- Prior experience in ModelBuilder, ArcPy and geoprocessing tools to automate tasks
- Good problem-solving skills
- Strong numeracy
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, 3 stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail. Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Excellent research and report writing skills.
- Ability to provide dynamic and innovative solutions
- Ability to complete work with GIS best practice and corporate standards in mind
- Ability to liaise with internal and external clients to promote GIS and deliver high-quality GIS input into their projects
- Able to work on your own without losing initiative and focus and with the wider GIS team and project teams based in multiple locations
- Proficient in delivery of allocated project tasks to quality, time and budget requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access)
- A full driving licence would be beneficial as the role may involve travel for site surveys
- Experience of working with environment and planning related datasets
- Experience with working and controlling large number of evolving datasets
- Exposure to developing and maintaining web GIS and/or enterprise GIS technologies
- Exposure to developing and using mobile and GPS survey applications
- Prior experience or desire to learn programming languages and software development (ArcObjects, Python, C#, SQL)
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience.
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We’ll provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We’ll push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme. There’ll be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Yorkshire and the Humber, Ireland, Wales, Edinburgh and Lothian, North East, UK