"Compliance is a matter for everyone, first and foremost the managers and operational staff who manage relationships with customers, structure operations or operate in the markets."
The BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB) London Compliance Department performs a number of roles including but not limited to:
- Advising senior management and staff on compliance with relevant laws, regulations, standards and reputational issues
- Providing training for the bank’s employees on compliance topics, as well as acting as the contact point for compliance queries from staff
- Performing on-going monitoring of compliance with policies and procedures through reviewing and testing controls
- Investigating and reporting on suspected breaches of laws, regulations and standards
- Acting as representatives for BNPP UK Businesses to external agencies (regulators, national authorities, law enforcement agencies, trade associations) and similar third parties with respect to compliance matters
What you’ll get to do
Support each team in Compliance on six-month rotations. The rotations could be in any Compliance team, including Regulatory Change, Compliance Advisory, Controls, Monitoring, Registrations/Professional Ethics/Training, Functions and Financial Security. The role will require an understanding of regulation and financial markets, as it will involve some interactions with the CIB Front Office, Operations and other functions.
The key purpose of this role is to assist each of the teams to carry out day-to-day compliance activities for various businesses and being aware of relevant compliance, regulatory and business-related issues. Each rotation will be different so being able to adapt and learn about all areas is vital and a willingness to learn about each area is important.
- Regulatory Change: assist in the identification, interpretation and implementation of regulatory change matters which may also include participation in compliance industry association discussions
- Compliance Advisory: support the various business lines to provide day-to-day compliance advice to the Front Office (Global Banking, Global Markets and BP2S) on relevant laws, regulations and standards
- Compliance Controls: Learn how to perform permanent controls including planning, data collection, monitoring and fully executing controls
- Compliance Monitoring: review electronic communications and data, and monitor and report any key findings
- Registrations: handle registrations-related matters for the regulated employees of the bank, including regular certification processes
- Professional Ethics: handle personal account trading, outside business activities, personal relationships-related matters, including reviews of policies and providing approvals
- Functions Compliance: provide compliance support and advice to issues relating to non-Front Office staff (e.g. Human Resources, Risk, Legal, Finance, IT) including projects such as IT platforms or outsourcing matters
- Financial Security: Help to protect the bank with matters regarding anti- money laundering, counter terrorist financing, sanctions and embargoes, anti-bribery and corruption, corporate criminal offence and compliance with Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements
As directed by each Compliance team, contribute to UK, regional or global projects with a view to ensuring that they are delivered effectively and efficiently. This will be dependent on the decision of each team head.
Training and Knowledge: Obtain the Diploma in Investment Compliance from the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, supported by BNP Paribas. Maintain appropriate knowledge and training material to ensure to be fully compliant with rules, regulations and policies. Complete all mandatory training as required to attain and maintain competence.
What we’re looking for
Proactive, driven individuals with the desire and capacity to learn and a willingness to challenge and innovate. Here are some skills we’d like to see from our Compliance graduate candidates:
- Excellent academic background, minimum 2:1 or equivalent in Bachelor’s degree
- Understanding of financial markets
- Strong interest in financial regulation
- Team player, proactive, independent, enthusiastic self-starter with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong mathematical, analytical and quantitative skills
- Proficient with MS Office tools, including Excel (any additional software proficiency/coding is an advantage)
- Previous internship or work experience an advantage
- Excellent spoken and written English, additional languages are an advantage
- Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues
Who are we?
We’re one of the world’s leading investment banks, also known as ‘the bank for a changing world’. Being recognized as the World’s Best Bank for Corporate Responsibility (2019) by Euromoney magazine, reflects our commitment to financing the economy in an ethical manner, developing and engaging our people, being an agent for positive impact on society and for combating climate change. We contribute to the real economy by providing world-class solutions to a wide range of clients, including individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate clients and institutional investors. We’re also home to more than 193,000 employees across 68 countries. As such, we take great pride in fostering an open, inclusive, and collaborative environment, where all are made to feel welcome from day one.