Who we are
St. James's Place (SJP) works in partnership to plan, grow and protect our clients’ financial futures. We deliver personalised, face-to-face financial advice to our clients, who trust us to manage their money to reach their goals. We provide this service via the Partnership, a network of qualified, expert advisors. We put financial wellbeing and responsible business choices at the heart of everything we do. We believe in the value of difference and know that diverse teams can help us problem and innovate for clients. We look for people to join SJP to make an impact and to contribute to our culture which is based around long term relationships, doing the right thing, and being the best version of ourselves.
Our comprehensive range of training programmes are tailored to developing early careers at a number of stages. Whether you are looking to gain work experience whilst studying at sixth form or college, or graduating from university, our dedicated Early Careers team are here to support you in driving your career along your chosen path.
Location: Cirencester Office
**Please note that the application deadline for this vacancy is the 16th December but we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so may close the vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications. Early applications are therefore advised. ** To help us effectively manage your application, please only apply for one Graduate vacancy. If you are unsure which role is best for you, please contact us to discuss the options.
NB: Assessment centres for this vacancy will be run on the 22nd January so please ensure you are provisionally available to attend
About the role:
You will join St. James’s Place (SJP) on a permanent full-time role and complete a 2 year Graduate Programme. During this time you will rotate within the Large and Medium Business Unit (LMBU) providing the exposure and understanding as to how the division interacts with the SJP Partnership and wider SJP Stakeholders. The LMBU work to grow SJPs fastest growing and most ambitious financial advice businesses. LMBU employees pioneer agile ways of working to meet the ever-changing financial landscape. The LMBU Leadership Team have a track record of empowering their teams and developing LMBU talent to meet the needs of our most exciting businesses. The division has grown in a short space of time with approximately 70 people within and 52 of SJP’s largest businesses based across the country. The LMBU Leadership Team encourages applications from all experiences, skills and backgrounds.
We will support you to build consultancy skills through a professional qualification. We will support your personal development goals throughout the programme to provide you the required skills to meet both short and long term objectives.
You will be working in the LMBU Business Partnering, Planning and Prioritisation Team. The Team’s purpose is to develop trusted and valuable relationships with Business Leaders and Leadership Teams. These relationships support and enable the delivery of shared growth objectives. LMBU Business Partners act as the conductor, engaging and supporting the deployment of LMBU and SJP specialists in the right business, at the right time. As a result, you will gain exposure into the different areas of LMBU including: Adviser Development and Growth, Operations, Finance, Risk and Marketing.
Your role as a Graduate will vary largely on a day-to-day basis:
- Support the creation, review and delivery of practice engagement plans working closely with Business Partners to capture output into actionable plans.
- Work with Business Partners to support the delivery of key practice-facing activities in line with agreed engagement plan activity.
- Co-ordinate key initiatives owned by the Business Partnering team and wider LMBU.
- Support the communication of key Business Partnering updates both internally through LMBU Leadership Team inputs and externally into LMBU businesses where appropriate.
Work with the wider LMBU Stakeholders to gain understanding and insight into the different functions and how this interacts with an LMBU Partner Business.
Your role will require nationwide travel so we would like to hear from everyone wherever you are in the UK.
You will need to be studying towards or have achieved a 2:2 in your degree. You will need to demonstrate a range of qualities including:
- Able to build trusting, long lasting relationships that are collaborative and deliver great outcomes
- Strong team player with a ‘can do’ and ‘hands on’ approach
- Capable communicator who is able to influence peers and Stakeholders
- Strong organisational skills, able to manage time and priorities effectively
- Proficient across all Microsoft Systems
- Create high-quality PowerPoint documents that concisely communicate key messages, plans or outcomes
- Excel ability to interpret data and create insight that can be communicated (eg pivot tables, basic formulas, graphs).
We understand that employees work best in different ways, at different times and in different environments. We value all of our employees and appreciate that everyone is unique, and at one of many stages within their career. Our people are encouraged to work in a flexible way that suits their lifestyle where it can be accommodated, so please ask the question and start a conversation!
Research tells us that applicants (especially those from underrepresented groups) can be put off from applying for a role if they do not meet all the criteria or have been on an extended career-break. If you think you would be a good match for this role and can demonstrate some transferable experience please apply, regardless of whether you tick every box.
Why work for us?
In addition to an attractive salary and eligibility to participate in the discretionary annual bonus opportunities, you will also receive an excellent benefits package including:
- Non-Contributory Pension – 10% (increasing with length of service) with further pension matching
- Meaningful protection benefits with real value, such as 10X life cover, PHI, and critical illness.
- Best in class terms and conditions including 6 months paid parental leave.
- Private Medical and Dental Insurance
- 28 days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays (based on full-time equivalent) with the option to buy up to an additional 5 days holiday
- Discretionary bonus scheme dependent on company and personal performance, varied by level
- Not applicable to fixed term contracts (standard uplift applies in lieu of the protection benefits)
Our culture is the glue that binds us together - It’s one of our biggest assets and one of the biggest reasons for our success. It’s underpinned by core values of doing the right thing, being the best version of ourselves and investing in long term relationships.
We want to embrace a diverse group of backgrounds and experiences to connect with clients, solve problems and innovate. We raise our voice on the things that matter to us and insprire change from the front. Contributing to our inclusive culture is vital, ensuring a space for everyone to be their authentic self, no compromises.
In all we do, we consider how our work affects the communities in which we belong. Over 96% of our group employees are involved in supporting our communities through financial education, charitable giving and volunteering. Over 80% of all our employees and Partners donate each month to our Charitable Foundation, which is now the 3rd largest corporate charity in the UK.
SJP is delighted to have signed The Armed Forces Covenant, and we are active members of LGBT Great, 30% club, The Diversity Project, Disability Confident and more!
What Happens Next?
Our process is the same for each of our Graduate opportunities, so once you have completed the application form, we will invite you to complete a Job Focussed Assessment (JFA). If successful after the JFA, you will be invited to complete an online video interview and if successful at this stage we will invite you to the final stage of the process, that consists of a face to face assessment centre.
Our team will be in touch. As a business regulated by the FCA we would advise you to familiarise yourself with the conduct regulations and in particular consumer duty obligations prior to an interview with SJP.