Graduate - Data Science
Apply by: 02.12.2021
Airlines are complex, everchanging and data rich, which means that the industry provides one of the most varied and interesting places for data and analytics professionals to work. Problems like determining the optimal mix of aircraft to buy for the next 20 years, or how to improve overbooking set up, requires a creative approach identifying and exploiting value from current and new data sources, applying advanced analytical techniques and visualisations.
You will start applying your analytical skills from day one: influencing real life multi-million pound decisions, making a tangible impact on the business as your recommendations, tools and models drive key business decisions.
You will provide the analytics or data engineering or automation input into key business projects. These projects cover all aspects of the airline from Operations to Network Planning to Commercial and have a big impact on the profitability, sustainability and customer satisfaction of our company by increasing revenue, reducing costs, help manage risks and optimise our customer experience. Because of this, you will have the opportunity to work across a variety of business functions and form close working relationships with decision makers and leaders within the business.
Across the programme, you will rotate through these three key roles on a project by project basis to get a breadth of experience:
- Data Science Consultant
- Data Engineer
- Data Visualisation Consultant
We are looking for a minimum of a 2:2 degree (with significant Numerical /Data Science / Advanced Analytics / Applied Statistics / Computer Science content) and a minimum of grade B at A-Level Maths (or equivalent).
A practical thinker with a customer focus, you’ll need to be able to deal with ambiguity and complexity.
What's in it for you?
Looking to join our graduate scheme? You won't be disappointed. Recently winning TargetJobs 'Most Popular Graduate Employer in the Transport, Logistics and Supply Chain' category, and being ranked #17 in the GTI Top 300 Graduate Employers, we can't wait to welcome you into the British Airways family.
We have many benefits for graduates at British Airways, here are a handful to showcase the diversity of our graduate community:
- Part of the British Airways graduate network and community, with the opportunity to engage with graduates from all schemes in the business and learn from former graduates
- Involvement in our ambitious sustainability vision, volunteering an active role to champion specific community groups including LGBTQ+ 'Flying Proud' and black excellence 'BeMe'
- Involvement in Community Investment programmes, taking part in fundraising challenges for partnership charities, supporting causes close to your heart
- Volunteering in schools, colleges and universities, sharing personal experiences to inspire, motivate and coach students and support their potential to gain employment in the industry we love
- Access to heavily discounted flights to globe trot, and a generous annual leave entitlement to turn your bucket list into reality
Further information & Next Steps
We are delighted that you are considering applying! Here’s some more information you may need about the application process:
- All sections of your application need to be complete, including all online tests, by the deadline given
- Due to high volumes of applications, you may only apply for one graduate programme. We would recommend for you to read about each graduate scheme before applying as only your first application will be considered
- If you are successful with the online tests, you will be invited to complete a short video interview and application questions within a given timeframe
- Across all stages of the application process, if you fail to submit by the deadline, your application will be automatically withdrawn.
Timelines for this recruitment process
- Initial applications open between 11 October – 02 December but may close earlier if volumes are high
- If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to complete a video interview late December 2021/early January 2022
- If your video interview is successful, you will be invited to a Virtual Assessment Centre early February 2022