AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses, and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
The Economic Development teams are looking to recruit a Graduate Economic Development Consultant. In order to work on a wide range of projects at once, the individual must have an analytical mind, be flexible and organised. They should have an interest in a broad range of work in economic development and regeneration, research and quantitative and qualitative analysis.
The work of the Economic Development team is extremely varied and includes socio-economic research and impact assessments; health impact assessments; advice on major economic development projects and services; sector and infrastructure studies; cost-benefit analyses; business case development/economic appraisal; and employment land reviews.
Examples of projects the Economic Development team are involved in include:
- Crossrail 2, London. The team worked as an integral part of the Growth and Development team at Crossrail 2 – a major planned rail infrastructure investment in London - covering town planning and economic development work. This included providing analysis to test the economic and regeneration impacts of different route and design options, and to test different delivery and financing options. The project is expected to deliver major benefits to the region to support the growth of London and the South East.
- Stratford Waterfront, London . The team oversaw the preparation of a socio-economic assessment and ES chapter for the planning application for Stratford Waterfront, a large regenerative mixed-use scheme which will form as part of a new cultural and higher education district in Stratford. The report included the assessment of potential direct and indirect effects of the development on the local and regional economies and assessed varied socio-economic impacts such as induced employment and GVA, effects on open spaces; children play space and provision of public amenities. A health impact assessment of the scheme was also undertaken to maximise the social benefits for existing and new residents.
- Enfield Economy Study – the team prepared a suite of studies for the growing London Borough of Enfield: a review of the supply and demand for employment land (use classes B1, B2 and B8); a demand led local economic assessment to support the Borough’s aspirations to grow their local business base and attract inward investment; a business survey to build the council’s evidence base; a detailed business activity mapping exercise; and case studies of new development typologies. This work feeds into a wider assignment to opine on the future of industrial land in the borough to 2060.
This is an entry level position for a recent graduate. The individual should be highly numerate, comfortable with quantitative data and analysis and will be responsible for the basic core research of the project. This can involve conducting internet or desk research, gathering information through phone or face to face interviews and site visits, or generating demographic information. The consultant is responsible for making the information comprehensible and for providing a base analysis for its meanings and implications, including providing well-written inputs into reports.
The role involves:
- Data collection, primary research, literature reviews and undertaking consultation with a range of stakeholders utilising a range of methods (e.g. telephone, face-to-face and electronic).
- Delivery of high-quality quantitative and qualitative analysis and research across a number of short and longer term projects.
- Interpretation of technical information/analysis in a clear, concise and credible manner, inputting into reports and proposals.
- Helping to identify project opportunities for the team.
- Supporting the creation of presentations for clients and internal presentations.
- Providing a range of other ad hoc advice and support for the team, such as proposals and marketing input.
The graduate will work as part of a team under the direction of Associate Directors and Project Managers working on projects throughout the UK and Ireland. They will be paired with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects.
The ideal graduate should meet the following requirements:
- Hold a 2.1 or First Class honours degree in Geography, Economics, Town / Urban Planning, Urban Regeneration & Development, Sustainable Urbanism, or another relevant degree.
- Be highly numerate.
- Have a keen interest in drivers of economic growth in different geographies including infrastructure and land use.
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft office suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Hold strong interpersonal skills and have the confidence to conduct face to face and telephone interviews.
- Be comfortable in dealing with quantitative and qualitative data and analysis from primary and secondary sources.
- Possess a writing ability that is coherent, grammatically correct, analytical, and professional.
- A good listener accepting of input from team members.
- A team player with a positive attitude who is highly motivated and proactive.
- Flexible in work approach and willing to travel to other offices when required.
- Effective time management and the ability to multi-task.
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to continued education and improvement through participating in our approved training schemes.
- Although not essential it would be beneficial if the ideal candidate has experience and/or an interest in GIS, research or design (e.g. survey and sample design).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Please include a CV, Portfolio & Covering letter with your application and provide all predicted and/or obtained academic grades.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Preferred Degree Subjects
Economics and related