Northern Ireland +1
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine on our website.
Leading-edge thinking about the form and performance of any building underpins AECOM's position as a global leader in the skilfully crafted design of sustainable, elegant and cost-effective buildings. To drive maximum performance of the building in operation, to generate spaces with optimal commercial viability, and to ensure a holistic and sustainable design solution, our work integrates the thinking of some of the world's leading building scientists and engineers. At the top of their professions, these
specialists are recognised experts in their fields, including our Fire Engineers.
In the early stages of project design, your role as a graduate Fire Engineer comprises of ensuring that the Project Design Team is aware of the implications that their decisions have on the fire safety strategy of the building. This may require an in depth analyses of the design, which could include Computational Fluid Dynamics, smoke layer calculations or evacuation modelling, depending on the situation.
As projects progress you will be required to advise the Project Design Team on their decisions and ensure that any non-compliant variations in the design are mitigated in an effective manner to satisfy the requirements of the Building Regulations. You will attend meetings under the supervision of a senior engineer and will be involved in the development of the fire safety strategy.
Examples of projects the Fire Engineering team work on are:
- Bristol Old Vic - AECOM developed the fire strategy for the refurbishment of the theatre auditorium, back of house areas and the 250th Anniversary Works for the Bristol Old Vic & Theatre royal Trust Ltd
- Cardiff and Vale Academy, Cardiff - Development in the heart of the Central Cardiff Enterprise Zone, which is aimed at attracting companies in the financial and professional services firms. The 16,000 square meter campus includes dedicated Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Centre; state-of-the-art gymnasium; luxurious hairdressing and beauty salons; including a spa with zen garden and unique conference facilities with flexible indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Northern Estates Project, London - The project concerns the refurbishment of existing buildings to accommodate Parliament during the renovation of the Palace of Westminster. The AECOM fire team have developed the site-wide fire strategy for the temporary accommodation and fire strategies most buildings on the site, except Richmond House (which will house the parliamentary chamber when the House of Commons is being refurbished). The design has to take into account the existing constraints of existing buildings, several of which are Grade II or Grade II* listed buildings, security matters. Fuller information about the project can be found
- here: www.northernestate.parliament.uk
- Crossrail oversite developments, London - AECOM has been working on a number of developments over railway stations, for example offices above Farringdon station. Oversite developments need to consider the fire safety of the building in its own right, whilst taking into account the station below.
- Metropolitan Police Service Estate Transformation Programme - AECOM delivered the fire strategy reports for the refurbishment of six Operational Facilities in London. The appointment followed work on MPS Lambeth refurbishment and the design and construction of new buildings at the Hendon Driving School
- Jeddah Metro - The project includes three metro lines incorporating tunnels and stations (including the airport station also connecting to the High Speed line, and the multi-model station called Al Muntalaq incorporating a hotel, shopping centre, offices, IMAX and other leisure facilities), a commuter rail system, a water taxi service, a city-wide bus rapid transit system and a tramway along the city’s border with the Red Sea.
- Creating designs, calculations, sketches, diagrams, fire strategy drawings or fire protection schematic and final working drawings under the supervision of an experienced engineer
- Collecting and analysing data under the supervision of an experienced engineer
- Using computer software as a tool for solving basic engineering problems
- Presenting work in appropriate media under supervision
- Performing work in accordance with agreed budget and schedule under supervision
- Taking ownership of your personal development
- Bachelors (minimum 2:2 classification, or equivalent), Masters or PhD in Fire Engineering or related, Structural, Mechanical, Civil, Aeronautical, and Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university degree course
- Master’s degree in Fire Engineering or a related subject would be an advantage
- Good numeric and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good attention to detail
- Flexible to deal with varying workload
- Able to demonstrate a desire to pursue a career in Fire Engineering
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to
the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules
throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
UK & Ireland
Northern Ireland, UK