AECOM is an internationally recognised leader in highway consultancy, providing our clients with a range of services including planning, design project management and asset support services. Our award winning Highways design team is leading the Building Information Modelling (BIM) industry, and remains at the forefront of cutting edge design for a new highways concept of ‘smart’ motorways, on several UK based projects.
Our expanding Highways division comprises over 700 employees across 23 offices in 7 countries in Europe alone. There are many exciting opportunities now available for graduates to work within our Highways team across the UK and Ireland supporting operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
The Highways team delivers a range of different projects across the globe working with funding agencies, national and local governments, highways authorities and private organisations. Our graduates work on projects from initial concept through to construction and operation, fulfilling diverse design, project management, stakeholder engagement, business innovation as well as technical and site assurance roles. Working as an AECOM Highways graduate requires collaborative behaviours, as our integrated projects often bring together teams of specialists to deliver for our clients. Our graduates pursue excellence in delivery for clients, continually seeking out innovation, so we will expect you to engage, participate and excel in our creative design culture.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international highway and infrastructure improvements, for example: the A303 Stonehenge Project, the A55 Third Menai Crossing and the Foynes to Limerick TEN-T Core Network project in Ireland. Our key clients include, the Midland’s Highway Alliance, major contractors, the Welsh government, Transport Scotland, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the Department for Infrastructure where we deliver strategic highway schemes such as the York Street Interchange in central Belfast; smart motorways on the M3 and the M6 in England; and major integrated schemes such as the Mersey Gateway. Other projects include the London Highway Alliance, Dublin Airport Second Runway, the Forth Replacement Crossing in Scotland, the A1 Leeming to Barton project, the A47 Corridor Road Investment Strategy and the Stockholm Bypass in Sweden; one of the world’s largest tunnelling projects.
We are looking for ambitious, hardworking, enthusiastic Civil Engineering graduates who have computational, mathematical and design skills. Successful applicants will use industry leading computer software and BIM modelling programmes while working on a variety of different highway specific expertise including:
- Transportation economics and planning
- Feasibility and corridor studies
- Environmental studies
- Highway design
- Traffic management planning
- Pavement analysis
- Drainage design
- Utility relocation
- Streetscape design
- Vulnerability analysis and security systems
- Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
Our Highways graduates will also have opportunities to work on a wide range of traffic engineering projects as both Traffic Engineering and Highways Graduates work together and will have the opportunity to rotate between projects so a broad range of training will be provided to all our Roads Graduates.
- BEng Civil Engineering with a 2:2 classification (or equivalent) or above
- MEng Civil Engineering would be an advantage
- Highways/Roads modules or experience would be an advantage
- Ability to demonstrate a good technical understanding of Highways Engineering
- Demonstrable interest in Highways Engineering and developing a career in this industry
- Willing and able to work towards chartership with the CIHT, or ICE
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP), along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live and work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
UK & Ireland