South East + 8
AECOM is an internationally recognised leader in highway consultancy, providing our clients with a range of services including planning, design project management and asset support services. Our award winning Highways design team is leading the Building Information Modelling (BIM) industry, and remains at the forefront of cutting edge design for a new highways concept of ‘smart’ motorways, on several UK based projects.
Our expanding Highways division comprises over 700 employees across 23 offices in 7 countries in Europe alone. There are many exciting opportunities now available for graduates to work within our Highways team across the UK and Ireland supporting operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
The Highways team delivers a range of different projects across the globe working with funding agencies, national and local governments, highways authorities and private organisations. Our graduates work on projects from initial concept through to construction and operation, fulfilling diverse design, project management, stakeholder engagement, business innovation as well as technical and site assurance roles. Working as an AECOM Highways graduate requires collaborative behaviours, as our integrated projects often bring together teams of specialists to deliver for our clients. Our graduates pursue excellence in delivery for clients, continually seeking out innovation, so we will expect you to engage, participate and excel in our creative design culture.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international highway and infrastructure improvements, for example: the A303 Stonehenge Project, the A55 Third Menai Crossing and the Foynes to Limerick TEN-T Core Network project in Ireland. Our key clients include, the Midland’s Highway Alliance, major contractors, the Welsh government, Transport Scotland, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the Department for Infrastructure where we deliver strategic highway schemes such as the York Street Interchange in central Belfast; smart motorways on the M3 and the M6 in England; and major integrated schemes such as the Mersey Gateway. Other projects include the London Highway Alliance, Dublin Airport Second Runway, the Forth Replacement Crossing in Scotland, the A1 Leeming to Barton project, the A47 Corridor Road Investment Strategy and the Stockholm Bypass in Sweden; one of the world’s largest tunnelling projects.
We are looking for ambitious, hardworking, enthusiastic Civil Engineering graduates who have computational, mathematical and design skills. Successful applicants will use industry leading computer software and BIM modelling programmes while working on a variety of different highway specific expertise including:
- Transportation economics and planning
- Feasibility and corridor studies
- Environmental studies
- Highway design
- Traffic management planning
- Pavement analysis
- Drainage design
- Utility relocation
- Streetscape design
- Vulnerability analysis and security systems
- Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
Our Highways graduates will also have opportunities to work on a wide range of traffic engineering projects as both Traffic Engineering and Highways Graduates work together and will have the opportunity to rotate between projects so a broad range of training will be provided to all our Roads Graduates.
- BEng Civil Engineering with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent) or above
- MEng Civil Engineering would be an advantage
- Highways/Roads modules or experience would be an advantage
- Ability to demonstrate a good technical understanding of Highways Engineering
- Demonstrable interest in Highways Engineering and developing a career in this industry
- Willing and able to work towards chartership with the CIHT, or ICE
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career.
When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts – planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers – leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let’s get started.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Dublin, Bedford, Belfast, Cardiff, Croydon, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Chesterfield
South East, South West, Yorkshire and the Humber, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, East Midlands, North East, North West