Our Early Careers programmes are the ideal starting point for those looking to get started on a fulfilling, high-impact career. At Standard Chartered, we’re committed to your success and will provide you with the tools and opportunities to accelerate your personal and professional growth. We have a range of different opportunities that go beyond traditional banking, to tackle some of society’s greatest challenges. So, whatever your ambitions, you’ll be exposed to the whole banking process, and be supported every step of the way.
Who are Standard Chartered?
We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. We work to make a positive difference for our clients, communities and each other. Joining Standard Chartered, means joining a family with ambition. Ambition that’s paved the way for 160 years, across our unique and diverse footprint in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe, the Americas, and beyond.
Our purpose unites us - to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity - and together with our brand promise, to be here for good. These are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours.
Our valued behaviours were defined by all of us, they shape our culture and reflect what we expect of ourselves and each other. When you work with us, you’ll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing , value braveness, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from both the things that go well, and those that don’t!
- Are better together, creating an inclusive place where each person is valued for being themselves, collectively working toward sustainable solutions
About the Global Internship Programme
Our 10-week Global Internship Programme allows you to work directly on real world problems to hone your skills, create lasting relationships and learn about your strengths. The programme is intended to create a pipeline to our International Graduate Programme and other full-time roles.
What you’ll experience:
- A 10-week structured Internship programme, that typically takes place between June-August
- A country induction, formal welcome to the Bank and get to know your peers
- On-the-job learning
- Be paired with a ‘buddy’ from the International Graduate (IG) Programme, to set you up for success and provide insights and guidance about the Bank, your career, and hopefully joining the IG program post- graduation
About the International Graduate Programme
Our International Graduate programme is your gateway into the world of banking. Over 18 months (starting in September) you’ll experience an immersive, collaborative and global learning experience designed to provide technical, experiential and on-the-job training. While developing you for your first role with us, we’ll be equipping you with a deeper understanding of our broader organisation and how it operates. You’ll soon become a change advocate, driving innovation and creativity across our footprint.
What you’ll do over 18 months:
- International induction – these are classroom sessions, case studies, and tailored technical training split by business functions
- 12 month training rotation – depending on which business area you apply for you, you’ll spend five months in your focus area and then go on to broaden your experience with two months rotations across three different business areas. We’ll work closely with you to design a rotation plan that’s unique to your development
- 6 month business rotation – it’s your opportunity to find the team you fit into best and begin your Standard Chartered career. You may deploy into a permanent position after the mandatory training rotations, or spend up to six months gaining a deeper understanding of your focus business area
We’re currently recruiting for the below roles:
- 2022 – Intern – Retail Banking – Kenya
- 2022 – Intern – Wealth Management – Kenya
- 2022 – Intern – Financial Markets – Kenya
- 2022 – Graduate – Retail Banking – Kenya
- 2022 – Graduate – Wealth Management – Kenya
Opportunities close 28 February 2022, however we strongly encourage you to apply now to avoid disappointment.
Events (Register for more Information)
We’ll be running a series of virtual events where you can find out more about Standard Chartered and our Early Careers Opportunities. You can register your interest to attend through the links below by uploading you CV. Spaces are limited so you’ll receive a confirmation email if you’re selected to attend.
- Banking on Diversity: The Future is Female Open to female university students and recent graduates (26 Jan 2022)
- Virtual Networking - Kenya & Ghana Open to Kenyan and Ghanaian nationals who are current university students or recent graduates (21 Feb 2022)
Who we’re looking for
We’re interested in people with diverse backgrounds and encourage students from all degree disciplines to apply to our programmes. For our Early Career Programmes you must:
- Be in your in your penultimate (second to last) year of study of your bachelor or post-graduate degree
- Have the permanent legal right to work in the country you’re applying to, for the full duration of the internship. The Bank does not sponsor work permits for Internships
- For the UAE, we accept applications from Arab Nationals requiring visa sponsorship, but priority will be given to nationals of the country.
- If you’re required to completed mandatory National or Military service after graduation, we will accept applications from final year students..
How to apply?
Visit our careers website and explore more about us, search for jobs and create a job alert, as well as get lots of hints and tips about our application process. Take a look at https://www.sc.com/en/global-careers/early-careers/
Good luck with your job searching and remember, if you’re looking for a career with purpose and want to work for a bank making a difference, we’d love to hear from you.