We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are 3,300 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
We design and build software for real products and devices – some of the most innovative and life-changing imaginable. We love a challenge and the ability to use our technical know-how and innovative thinking to find the best answers.
Our multi-disciplinary teams specialise in developing end-to-end products and devices, taking early stage concepts through to complete product releases - and even to small volume production line scale-up. Our world-class development facilities are based just outside Cambridge.
Some of our core capabilities include:
Software for Real Devices
We are experts in developing best-in-class embedded software and firmware for cutting-edge products and devices across many industries, from small medical devices to large transport networks. For example, we developed the Oakdoor™ Data Diode to keep organisations safe from cyber attacks. We have been working with Ori Biotech to accelerate the development of affordable cell and gene therapies, which is set to revolutionise the healthcare industry.
Cloud Integration and IoT Devices
We design and develop edge-processing software for embedded and bare-metal IoT devices, with cloud-integration as a key feature, to create end-to-end IoT solutions that have real business value. We work closely with our teams of digital engineers and data scientists to extract deeper insights from our data. We helped Water Source create a water purification system that can change the way people around the world access safe drinking water.
Advanced Image processing & Virtual Reality
We have expertise in high-speed image analysis and processing, as well as building systems that capture, interpret and use image data. We have built mixed-reality digital twins to improve how operators visualise information and remotely control hazardous systems. Using Microsoft’s HoloLens, we enhanced training modules for IMI Critical Engineering with augmented reality (AR) to give engineers a real-world experience of the products they’ll be maintaining.
Why do we enjoy developing software at PA?
- Using our talents across a range of design and development tasks from real devices and machines (electronics and mechanical systems) to cutting edge IoT and cloud systems.
- Working in a talented and collaborative cross-disciplinary team that provides insight into best practice software product development – from button-sized embedded electronics systems through to innovative manufacturing process control.
- Designing and building solutions using the best-suited technologies for the problem we are trying to solve
- Where we can, adding value through our non-software capability. For example, as an expert in applied sciences, communications systems, or mechatronics.
Product Design Engineering at PA is unique among technology consultancies in offering clients the opportunity to integrate new products and technology through to wider business solutions
Our PDE programme is based out of our state-of-the-art Global Technology Centre in Melbourn. As a member of our PDE team, you will innovate at the intersection of science, technology and market needs. We pride ourselves on developing innovative solutions to hard problems.
We will provide you with the opportunity to work across a multitude of sectors, working within teams which take products from idea to market quickly and efficiently.
You will be enrolled onto our Graduate Development Programme, including access to mentoring; and at the end of the scheme, you will be eligible for promotion to our Consultant Analyst rank
As an analyst, we expect you to be curious and ask questions that push the boundaries for our clients. We’re looking for people with a drive to make a difference and be experts in their field to help bring ingenuity to life.
In exchange, we promise to give you a supportive environment with an enthusiastic team ready to help you develop as a software consultant and the opportunity to grow your skills wherever your interest takes you.
We expect you will have a combination of:
- A willingness to learn
- A desire to push for continuous improvement and deliver quality software
- The versatility and flexibility to apply your skills to new challenges and solve unfamiliar problems
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to explain complex technical concepts to any audience, and the ability to work well in a team
- A keen interest in applying your ability to different industries
- Proficient programming skills, ideally with experience in one or more of these embedded or objected-oriented languages: C++, Python, C or C#
- Familiarity with software development practices and tools, such as agile development, version control, software testing, continuous integration and virtualisation
Ideally you will have:
- Commerical experience in software design, development or testing
- Knowledge or experience of a specific area of interest, for example: embedded software, sensors, IoT, cloud, robotics, VR/AR, medical devices.
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skill sets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us.
Back Ln, Melbourn, Royston SG8, UK