As a Software Development Graduate Engineer at Hawk-Eye Innovations, you will be part of a two year scheme that is designed to give you exposure into how Hawk-Eye creates industry leading technology that enhances the world of global sport.
During your time with Hawk-Eye Innovations you will rotate through multiple different disciplines. Depending on your chosen scheme you will gain experience in the following areas:
- Backend Development (Java)
- DevOps (AWS, Ansible, Terraform)
- Computer Vision C++
These rotations will ensure you understand how our team and technology come together to create innovative solutions. You will learn agile methodologies and partner with the wider business to develop existing products and be part of the team that creates new technology that will be used in sports such as football, tennis, and cricket. As you finish your initial rotations you will then specialise in a specific business discipline for the remainder of your programme.
As a software engineering graduate you will also get to collaborate with our product team and customers to learn about our requirements and to see how we develop innovative solutions to the most complex challenges within sports technology. You can expect to solve significant problems and collaborate with the wider team to brainstorm solutions, conduct research and find the best approach. You will be working in agile principles, using two-week sprints to deliver game-changing technology and will support the configuration and deployment of our products that are delivered on a global scale.
Graduate Scheme Entry Requirements
- You will have a strong academic background such as a BSc in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline
- You will have some demonstrable software engineering experience. Specific requirements are outlined in the individual scheme descriptions.
- You will thrive in an innovative and fun environment, where you will work in agile teams, learn from fantastic colleagues and want to share your own knowledge, experience and ideas
- A desire and the ability to innovate, learn and push the boundaries
- You will be a recent graduate by either graduating in 2021 or 2022. If you have graduated outside of this window please review our permanent opportunities.
Graduate Scheme - Additional Information
Our Development Team
Our Development team at Hawk-Eye Innovations is multi-faceted. It is responsible for building technology that underpins all of the services delivered by the wider operational business. We have expertise in a variety of engineering disciplines, including:
- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning
- Video content management and streaming
- Cloud data platforms
- Web technologies
- Computer Graphics
- Data Science
Each of the above teams collaborates closely to deliver technologies across a number of sports, products and services. One of our core services is ball and player tracking in sports such as tennis, cricket, football and US sports like major league baseball. We build end-to-end solutions - real-time tracking, data warehousing, low latency data streaming and broadcast enhancements, including automated officiating (e.g. Hawk-Eye Live, Tennis).
Our VAR system is used to help officiate in the biggest football competitions in the world, including the top leagues in England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France and the USA, the UEFA Champions League and the FIFA World Cup. Outside of football, our products are used in almost every major sport in the world, including the Olympics, American football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, cricket, tennis and golf.
In addition to officiating, we are also used as a broadcast tool, providing the ability to add replays and graphics to TV productions. This ranges from working with massive productions like the Masters golf tournament (where we won a Sports Emmy for our product that allowed viewers at home to view every shot of the tournament at the click of a button) to smaller events on the tennis tour where we provide the entire production, including cameras which we remotely control to follow the play.
Ultimately, we are flexible in our approach to software development. We do all of this with the support of the Product team, who facilitate projects and product development while delivering the technology into the hands of our operational teams.
We actively balance the focus of product development and innovation, appreciating that both are extremely important to the success of our business. While we adopt a robust approach to software development we are aggressive with our innovation - this includes regular Hack-Days, creating opportunities to experiment, initiating creative ideas, and embracing failures (but failing fast).
As part of our Development Team, you will be part of creating software that is integral to some of the biggest sporting tournaments, leagues and federations in the world. You’ll be able to see the results of your work on live TV, along with billions of sports fans around the world whose experience will be augmented by our software.
Our Development Team Culture
Our Development team at Hawk-Eye is built on a culture shaped by openness and honesty, along with a desire to push the boundaries of technology and innovation. We are constantly learning so that we can keep up to date with modern ways of doing things, and we use our code review process to challenge each other to improve and work in the best way possible, regardless of seniority in the team. We have areas that specific individuals are responsible for, but we always work collaboratively so that everyone can gain knowledge across our codebase, and areas of responsibility change over time as team members progress. We are agile and strive for the highest quality in everything we produce, whilst always ensuring that the code we write is clear and maintainable.
Our Tech Stack
At Hawk-Eye Innovations, we continue to push the boundaries of innovation in global sport. As part of our team, you will work closely with exceptional people and the most cutting edge technologies.
Our teams work with the following tech stack:
- Primarily modern C++ (C++17 and soon C++20);
- Production software targets Windows 10;
- Tools: Git, CMake, TeamCity, JIRA, Confluence, Slack;
- Libraries: Qt, ElasticSearch, Boost, ZeroMQ, FFmpeg, OpenGL
- JAVA, Node JS;
- Web service development (RESTful APIs);
- JUnit & mocking frameworks;
- Microservice architecture.
- AWS (EC2, ECS, S3, RDS, etc.);
- CI/CD (Jenkins, TeamCity).
Our Recruitment Process
- Bryq Assessment - Aptitude, Values and Culture Assessment
- myInterview - One Way Video Introduction
- Codility - Coding Activity
- Final Interview - With the hiring team
- Offer - Welcome to the team
Reward, Benefits and Wellness
In addition to being a part of a great team, working in a fun and creative environment and learning from the best technical minds in the sports industry, we offer:
- 25 days annual leave in addition to 8 public holidays
- Enhanced pension scheme (with 5% matching)
- Flexible working
- Optional private healthcare
- Complimentary Unmind app
- Access to sporting events and tickets
- Onsite Gym (Basingstoke)
- Sony Group Company Discounts
Participants on the scheme will ideally be located in our Basingstoke Head Office. We are open to participants being part of the graduate scheme within our London or Bristol locations.