At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Systems Safety Engineering is a holistic analysis and evidence based practice that enables NG to show that risks to life and harm have been reduced, so far is reasonably practicable, and that we deliver products that are safe to own and operate by our clients.
The Safety Engineer role involves working as part of the system safety engineering team supporting the delivery of a number of complex safety critical and safety related systems across multiple platforms. The role is specifically to undertake safety engineering activities in accordance with the NG safety processes and using guidance from Def Stan 00-056 and IEC61508.
- Undertake safety analysis activities as directed by the project safety manager. These may include Hazard Identification (HAZID), Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOPs), Systems Safety Engineering, Functional Failure Analysis (FFA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) and Safety Case development.
- Develop safety requirements as required for the system to ensure that the system design can meet the safety targets (e.g. random hardware failure probabilities and systematic safety integrity level (SIL) targets for electrical/electronic/ programmable electronic safety-related systems).
- Support the planning of safety activities on a complex project, including effort estimating to deliver the project milestones and safety case objectives.
- Supporting audits at internal and external design reviews and safety committee meetings
- Generating and documenting safety analysis, which will be the subject of internal peer review, governance reviews and presentation to the customer.
- Producing technical documentation to a high standard in accordance with company/customer procedures
- Undertaking analysis that positively impacts the design decisions and solutions proposed by the engineering teams
- Presenting complex and reasoned safety arguments to internal and external stakeholders in order to influence their consideration of safety decisions.
- Working collaboratively within multi-disciplined teams to maximise NGs reputation by generating high quality outputs
- Maintain awareness of the latest legislation and regulations impacting the projects currently working on and analyse the relevant standards and regulations that must be complied with.
Essential qualifications / experience
- Degree in Software, Engineering, Science or Safety Management related discipline
Desirable qualifications / experience
- Experience or knowledge of a safety-related engineering environment
- Awareness of safety assurance of Commercially Of The Shelf (COTS) equipment
- Awareness of the verification of high integrity software
- Ability to understand hardware and software failure modes, causes and effects
- Experience or knowledge in some areas safety/reliability/hazard identification analysis techniques.
- Awareness of the tools and techniques used in Risk Assessments and developing ALARP justifications
What we are looking for:
- Adept at problem-solving, able to develop solutions to a variety of problems
- Good attention to detail
- Organised, adept at workload management and prioritising appropriately to meet deadlines
- Flexible and responsive to changing priorities
- Proactive team worker, equally self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Good interpersonal skills, able to engage effectively with all audiences/stakeholders
- Proficient user of MS office
- Understanding or experience of electrical design generating applications
- Competent in PowerPoint (and face-to-face presentation delivery, where required)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Strong customer focus
- Engaging ‘can do’ attitude
Salary and benefits As well as a range of competitive financial and non-financial benefits you would expect from a leading organisation, we also offer:
- Starting salary of £30K
- Pay increases every six months
- A permanent contract from day one
- Exciting customer project work
- Exposure to a variety of work that will allow you to follow your interests and shape your career
- A friendly and collaborative company culture
- A graduate programme that will provide you with the training to develop your technical skills and leadership capability
- The potential to progress to senior engineer upon completion of your graduate programme!
Please submit a CV and a covering letter with the following information:
1. What appeals to you about Northrop Grumman and a place on the graduate programme?
2. What relevant skills, knowledge and experience do you have for this position?
3. What skills, knowledge and experience are you seeking to develop on the graduate programme?
- Travel requirements: Occasional UK travel may be required to attend team/customer meetings and training activities
- Clearance requirements: The post-holder must be able hold and maintain UK Government clearances
- Looking for flexibility? At Northrop Grumman UK we have hybrid working arrangements. Talk to us at the application stage about what may be possible.