Join us and you’ll:
- Help audit £40 billion of public money
- Audit public services you, your family and friends use
- Get full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS
- Receive a starting salary of £24,867 and bonus potential
- Have fantastic job opportunities when you qualify
- Help improve public services in Scotland
Who are we?
We are Scotland’s public sector auditor, independent of Government. We audit the financial statements of Local Authorities, Health Boards and central government bodies, and evaluate their performance in delivering services and value for money. We all share a belief that public money should be spent wisely, making the lives of Scotland’s people the very best they can be. It’s important work and you’ll be a valued member of our audit teams.
We employ around 320 exceptional professionals from different backgrounds and you don’t need an Accountancy degree to become an auditor.
We currently have opportunities available across Scotland with our offices based in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. We also have a small team based in Aberdeen. Although we are currently working from home due to the current Covid-19 suppression measures, the role will involve a presence at one of our office locations and some travel to client sites, as circumstances and Scottish Government guidance allow.
Why join our team?
We are proud to be named one of the top 40 workplaces in Scotland and the UK’s fourth best accountancy workplace in the Sunday Times’ 2021 Best Companies awards. Our people are vital to our continued success and as a Trainee Auditor, you will help contribute to delivering quality and relevant audit work across a variety of clients and, in doing so, you will add real value to the development and scoping of audit plans.
Our Graduate Trainee Scheme includes full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS. You will get a prestigious, internationally recognised qualification, whilst being involved in varied and interesting work, auditing public bodies in Scotland. You will also be supported to complete a personal development programme aimed at enhancing your career prospects in Audit Scotland.
And it doesn’t stop there, we offer a range of fantastic benefits including:
- Competitive starting salary, plus bonuses and salary increments
- A fully sponsored qualification with ICAS to become a Chartered Accountant
- Mentor support and guidance
- 38 days holiday (inclusive of 8 floating public holidays), 4 fixed public holidays, flexi-time and exam leave
- Career development and training opportunities
- Attractive local government pension scheme (19.4% employer contributions)
More about you
Our trainees come from a variety of backgrounds – just graduated, mature students or people looking to change career, from a vast range of degree subjects.
What matters is that you’ve got great analytical skills, are committed to studying for a professional qualification and excel in a challenging and rewarding role. If you think this sounds like the career for you, then we would love to hear from you. You will need these skills and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level with a minimum 2:1 in any subject (or expect to achieve a 2:1 in Summer 2022)
- Strong academic performance in both English and Mathematics
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-awareness and confidence to work using initiative
- An interest in Audit Scotland, Auditing, Accountancy or the public sector
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- Sound analytical skills for gathering, interpreting and evaluating data
You will also need to be eligible to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications is 30 January 2022.
Interested? Next steps
We’re keeping this nice and simple - click the apply button and complete the application form with examples of previous experience.
After the application closing date, you will be asked to complete a short online numerical test. If you are successful after this stage, you will be invited to attend an assessment centre and interview. Exact details of this will be confirmed nearer the time in line with Covid-19 suppression measures.
The start date for this vacancy will be from summer 2022 onwards.
Check out the Graduate page on our careers site to find out more about our trainee programme and life at Audit Scotland. Please note that only applications submitted via our careers website will be considered.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value the unique perspective a diverse workforce brings to what we do. Therefore, we’re keen to increase representation in our workforce and support progression of minority ethnic groups. We are also a proud disability confident employer.
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness