Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
More about the programme
We’ve designed our three-year graduate programme to take you on a journey from graduate to becoming professionally qualified. In that time, you’ll pack in lots of learning and new experiences. You’ll study and revise for your exams. You’ll also have the chance to work on a variety of exciting projects and help provide great client service.
Public sector audit focuses on public bodies, government departments and national services. The scope for making a difference is huge, our people who work in this area are proud of the value they bring on a daily basis.
During times of rapid change and financial challenge, Public Sector bodies increasingly require assurance over their use of resources and financial accounts. Stakeholders need to be assured that Public Sector bodies can:
- Deliver "Value for Money"
- Use resources and assets in a way that maximises the benefits from these
- Prepare and plan for changes, challenges and pressures
- Be financially resilient
As part of our Public Sector Audit team, you’ll spend most of your time going out to work with our clients at their sites. You’ll get to know how they work, so you can help provide the business and financial advice they need to grow and make the right decisions about the future.
What’s in it for you?
• Your day to day. As part of the public sector service line, your role will be challenging, rewarding and interesting. You’ll get hands-on experience of different aspects of audit, working on all kinds of projects that range from a few days to up to eight weeks. One day you could find yourself examining financial records or carrying out audit tests. The next day you could be attending stocktakes or completing audit files for a variety of clients ranging from the NHS to the Fire Department.
• Who you’ll be working with. You will work as part of our specialist team with over 300 team members across the UK, allowing you the opportunity to build a trusted and supportive internal network. You’ll spend time working with clients to understand the issues that are important to them. To do this, you must be a great relationship builder with clients and colleagues alike. You’ll take ownership for your own work whilst having the opportunity to develop others and create an environment where everyone can flourish.
• Your personal development plan. Right from the start, you’ll develop a strong internal and external network, working with a diverse range of colleagues and clients across a wide range of sectors. Working closely with your people manager, you will find areas where you can develop, collaborate and communicate more effectively with colleagues and clients at all levels.
• Progress in your career. As well as learning on-the-job, you’ll enjoy a structured training programme, starting with your orientation that will immerse you in our business, vision and purpose. At the end of the programme, you’ll become professionally qualified which will open up a wider variety of career opportunities.
• Making quality second nature. The role of an auditor is to act independently to support trust and integrity in the business. Our clients rely on us to make sure they do the right thing and are operating within the law. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards and integrity we have for the work that we do.
In this programme you’ll study towards becoming either ACA (Associate Chartered Accountant) or CIPFA (Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy) qualified.
The minimum criteria
We have a flexible approach to academic entry requirements. We’ll consider your academic achievements alongside your strengths, motivations and connection with us. We’re looking for people with a broad range of interests and experiences.
Do you care about the same things we do?
Head to our employability hub to find out more about our values and what we look for throughout our assessment process. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open and diverse place to work. We are an inclusive employer and committed to ensure our workforce is representative of our diverse society. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
"We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender." Dave Dunckley, CEO
Visit our life at Grant Thornton page to learn more about how you can make an impact, rewards and benefits, and our diversity and inclusion commitments. Before applying, we would encourage you to visit our employability hub to get a feel for what it’s like to start your career with us and to get some hints and tips for the next stage in our process.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!