The Assessment Centre for successful applicants: Expected to take place in early February 2020.
- You must be on track for a 2.2 (or above) in a Microbiology, Biomedical, Life sciences or Pharmaceutical sciences undergraduate degree, but will not have graduated at the start of your placement.
- You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of your undergraduate degree, but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
What does a Microbiology industrial placement have to offer?
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic student who is keen to develop their Microbiology skills whilst working with a leading Consumer Healthcare company. The successful candidate will be trained and tasked with the responsibility of managing an R&D innovation project with a strong focus on microscopy and model development with the objective of assessing product efficacy, mode of action and to support claims and expert marketing in order to deliver safe, quality products to our consumers.
- Develop new in vitro, microscopy-based models to assess the efficacy of products and provide insights into their mode of action.
- Identify and assess key innovation opportunities for model application by aligning with Microbiological Sciences, Innovation and New Product Development (NPD) teams.
- Understand and become an expert in the scientific literature surrounding the project to identify new methods/opportunities to improve on existing models at the same time as having a strong focus and understanding of what the business needs for these models are.
- Adopts a strong team work ethos, showing a willingness to contribute to other projects (both Innovation and NPD) and also disseminate projects learnings to build the wider groups capabilities.
- Writes technical papers/presentations/reports to enhance personal, departmental and corporate reputation.
- Seeks advise from colleagues and Management when unexpected results occur or when major changes to project plans are considered and acts pro-actively to address these.
- Interested in helping establish a supportive, developmental and learning orientated environment.
- Looks for innovative and better ways of doing things; actively looks to eliminate non-value-added steps out of processes and procedures.
- Ensures all work is conducted to appropriate GxP standards as required.
Job Related Experience
- Experience in microbiology and/or virology, microscopy and biofilm models would be advantageous though not essential as the candidate’s ability to utilize technical problem solving would be of greater value for this role. The necessary Microbiology training needed for this project will be provided.
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
- Clear communicator in both oral and written form with good computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc) and understanding of statistics and its application to biological data sets.
- Demonstratable ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in multidisciplinary teams, and multitask.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date. Applications will closed when we have filled our assessment centre dates. If you have what we’re looking for apply today!
This opportunity has the following recruitment stages you must successfully pass to be offered a placement year with GSK for 2020:
- Eligibility Form
- Online Assessment
- Application Form
- Assessment Centre
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!