Degree Requirements: Must be an undergraduate studying a degree in Microbiology, Biomedical, Life sciences or Pharmaceutical sciences
You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of your undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
Scope of the role
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic microbiology/biomedical or life sciences student who is keen to develop their Microbiology skills whilst working with a leading Consumer Healthcare company. The successful candidate will be trained and tasked with microbiology responsibilities for developing and managing R&D projects and building capability aligned to the needs of business and consumer insights. Successful learnings from this project will help with the design of future products going to market to benefit our consumers.
- Successfully lead a microbiology research project, by first seeking to understand key objectives, success criteria, deliverables & timings and structuring their work accordingly.
- Take accountability for project leadership, providing early communication if there is a risk of not meeting a deliverable.
- Design meaningful experiments (Design to Value) and conduct laboratory work to good scientific practices and GMP.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and documentation relevant to the duties and responsibilities assigned.
- An awareness of scientific literature to bring new ideas and potential technical solutions.
- Prioritise work in accordance with the needs of the business.
- Adopt a strong teamwork ethos, showing a willingness to contribute to other projects (both Innovation and NPD) and also disseminate projects learnings to build the wider groups capabilities.
- Write technical papers/presentations/reports to enhance personal, departmental and corporate reputation.
- Seek advice from colleagues and Management when unexpected results occur or when major changes to project plans are considered and acts pro-actively to address these.
- Look for innovative improvements and better ways of working whilst working to eliminate non-value-added steps out of processes and procedures.
- Ensures all work is conducted to appropriate EHS and Quality requirements as appropriate.
Job Related Experience
- Experience in microbiology, biofilms, and virology would be advantageous though not essential as the candidate’s ability to utilise technical problem solving would be of greater value for this role. The necessary Microbiology training needed for this project will be provided.
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
Take a look at this short video to find out more about this placement
Additional Details: The Assessment Centre for successful applicants is expected to take place in early February 2021.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 15th December 2020
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date.
Applications will close when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
If you have what we’re looking for apply today!
This opportunity has the following recruitment stages you must successfully pass to be offered a placement year with GSK for 2021!
- Eligibility Form
- Online Assessment
- Application Form
- Assessment Centre
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!