Graduate / Post Graduate (Coasts and Oceans)
Job Reference: 2021_18
HR Wallingford is a world-leading research and consultancy organisation. From flooding to shipping, offshore energy to climate change, we advise clients worldwide how to manage their interactions with the water environment. We provide analysis, advice and support in engineering and environmental hydraulics, and in the management of water and the water environment.
Are you an enthusiastic and highly motivated graduate/post graduate seeking the right opportunity to start your career? We are currently recruiting to fill a graduate/post graduate role which offers an opportunity for structured career progression. Support and problem sharing is an important part of our culture and we will provide you with an opportunity to develop an outstanding career in a world leading organisation.
Hydrodynamics, maritime and coastal processes is the area in which you will work. You will have an opportunity to learn fast and your development will be supported by regular career conversations underpinned by individual development plan.
About the job
In our Coasts and Oceans Group, we have projects involving modelling of hydrodynamics, maritime and coastal processes. We predict waves, water levels and currents for design of coastal structures and investigate the impact of developments such as offshore wind farms, harbours or coastal developments.
The primary role will be the application and development of computational wave, flow and sediment transport models under the direction of project managers. Most projects will be of a commercial nature – delivery on time and to budget is critical. Opportunities for involvement in research projects may also arise.
For the role you will need to demonstrate:
- An excellent understanding of relevant knowledge evidenced by a good degree (and ideally also a postgraduate qualification in a relevant field (e.g. oceanography, applied mathematics, physics, civil engineering or another numerate science).
- That you are highly numerate with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong, effective communication skills
- Collaborative team work
- Good attention to detail, record keeping, presentation and report writing skills
- That you are flexible, intuitive, adaptable and self-motivated
Knowledge of coastal hydrodynamic processes would be useful as would experience of analysis and presentation of data. Familiarity with Microsoft Office software is essential, as is knowledge of a programming language, preferably Python and/or MATLAB and/or FORTRAN.
Helping our people achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us, and we would be happy to explore flexible working and job share arrangements. Please talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We deliver smart solutions where water interacts with people, infrastructure and the environment.
It’s our exceptional people that make us who we are. A diverse range of individuals, we work together to push the boundaries of conventional thinking. We are innovators, bridging the gap between academia and industry. As a not-for-profit company, we don’t have shareholders; instead our profits are used to advance our research and to develop our people, our tools and our technology. We value the independence this brings us, our business and our environment in the long term, creating a company that we are all proud to be part of.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our workplace. We do not discriminate, and work to create an inclusive culture across our business.
Our excellent benefits package includes:
- A defined contribution pension scheme with minimum 10% contribution from the employer (up to 15% with matched funding)
- 22 days holiday, plus 3 days discretionary company holiday and 8 bank holidays,
- Permanent health insurance (subject to eligibility rules).
- Flexible working hours which allows for additional leave to be taken subject to hours accrued and business needs
- Onsite restaurant, gym and nursery at our stunning Howbery Park campus on the banks of the river Thames in Oxfordshire.
- Active sports and social club.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy please email email@example.com
As part of our process of recruitment you will need to satisfy certain conditions of employment such as the right to work in the UK; and provide appropriate documentation to verify ID, nationality, employment and/or academic history.
Closing Date: 30th June 2021
Our privacy notice for job applicants, available from our website, explains how we collect and process the personal data you may provide us when you apply for a job with us through our websites, or by any other means. This notice also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it.
HR Wallingford is an equal opportunities employer
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!