Who are we
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world. In 65 countries and territories serving around 40 million customers, our ambition is to be where the growth is, connecting customers to opportunities, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper.
Our network covers both established and emerging markets across Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, North America and Latin America. Within these markets, we serve our customers through our global businesses: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, Global Private Banking, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management.
Whether your specialism is Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning or a related scientific area, our Data Science and Engineering graduate programme offers the perfect entry point into HSBC’s cutting-edge Data Business. Our mission is to transform data into an enterprise asset to solve complex problems using cutting edge technologies – helping to rapidly implement insights that will drive more informed decision-making. Our rotational graduate programme will give you a breadth of experience whilst enabling you to develop your skills further.
After your induction and initial training programme you will learn about our different businesses and then understand the variety of opportunities available through a series of rotations. Whilst working in a team, you will use your analytic skills in various fields: this could be building and changing predictive analytical solutions, big data pipelines, data science and machine learning. You will collaborate with senior leaders and colleagues to create and implement quantitative solutions using different analytical principles to serve our clients.
What will you do
You will be transforming data into an enterprise asset to solve complex problems using the latest technologies, and statistical and machine learning techniques. This will help to rapidly implement insights and to deploy scalable distributed algorithms to process a wide array of large and complex datasets. The results of your work will drive informed decision-making across the organisation.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Needed
We are looking for dedicated, collaborative and motivated people who are:
- Committed researchers. Our markets and client needs are constantly changing. You should always be curious; questioning ideas and showing a keen interest in learning about our methods
- Agile workers. You will work in a fast-paced environment where everything evolves very quickly. You’ll maintain momentum by promoting agile working and ensuring we constantly deliver for our clients
- Analytical thinkers. You’ll need a good eye for detail, a creative mind for analysing trends, and the courage to adopt new analytical methods
- Team players. We collaborate by listening to new ideas, as well as voicing our own, in order to deliver and develop the best service for our clients
- Data enthusiasts. This programme will develop your statistical knowledge, passion for data or any programming skills you may already hold. You’ll gain a deep understanding of the theoretical grounds of machine learning and mathematical frameworks
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- Have a minimum of a 2.1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted or gained), and 120 UCAS points or equivalent (excluding General Studies).
- Have good programming skills in a language such as Python, Scala
- Have graduated or be graduating by July 2020
- Be studying for a degree or postgraduate degree in a quantitative discipline
- No direct experience is required for the role but any previous experience with transferable skills will be advantageous
What can this lead to?
Your rotations on the graduate programme will help you determine where in our businesses your skills and passions fit best. You will have support along the way to help you develop your career at HSBC.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!