On our competitively paid internship, you’ll experience life in Sales, Trading or Global Research providing you with a well-rounded idea of what a career in Markets & Securities Services can offer.
What you can expect
Markets & Securities Services at HSBC provides Sales, Trading and Global Research services to major government, corporate and institutional clients worldwide, uniquely positioned to provide a bridge between emerging and developed markets.
You’ll work alongside industry specialists, learning how the different areas of Markets & Securities Services work together to serve the broad range of needs of our clients. You’ll collaborate with a diverse community of peers who will encourage you to succeed. Our programme of training, delivered through interactive presentations, case studies and workshops, will help you keep up to date with the fast-paced environment of Markets & Securities Services. We look for determination and courageous thinking, and we'll reward your efforts with mutual support and a clear path for your future.
What you will do
After an induction, including tailored technical training, you’ll have the chance to explore your interests in either Sales, Trading or Global Research by working on projects or a number of transactions.
In Sales, you’ll be taught how to form lasting client relationships and you’ll build communication skills by presenting market views and investment solutions.
In Trading, you will build your understanding of the various dynamics that drive markets. You will learn the correlations between various factors and get a feeling for what to look out for when trading a particular market. You may also work on finding solutions for clients and liaise with the sales team, showing an ability to understand the dynamics of our business.
In Global Research, you will work alongside a team of experts to identify investment opportunities to support our clients. Our Economists analyse global themes and trends in order to make economic and policy forecasts.
Who does this suit?
You will get the opportunity to take great responsibility, while building on your personal and professional skills. We’re looking for:
- Inquisitive minds. You should always be questioning ideas and curious to learn more about our products and services, enabling us to meet our clients’ evolving needs
- Good networkers. We encourage you to work with clients, senior management, peers and our other teams internationally. This means you should be confident when communicating and show courage when presenting
- Opportunity takers. We’re an international company with opportunities around the globe. Jumping at the chance to take on a challenging, yet rewarding project will show you’ve got the motivation to progress to the next level
- Team players. We encourage our people to work together. This means collaborating with colleagues to learn more about our products, asset classes and how to best interact with clients. Being able to work well in a team will help take your career further
Learning and development
We take your learning and development seriously so that you get the most out of your internship. Your time with us will begin with a one-week induction that will give you an overview of HSBC, our business and culture, and how Markets & Securities Services fits into the overall structure. After this, your placement will provide you with a combination of practical experience and classroom training. This will help you to develop your technical skills and give you a detailed insight into our markets.
At the beginning of your internship, you’ll be set measurable objectives and receive feedback throughout the 10 weeks. There will be many people you can call on for support. Your manager will be able to give you guidance on your career options. You’ll be assigned a buddy to share ideas with and who you can call on for advice.
There will be regular business and social events to attend so you can build a network of global contacts, which will prove invaluable to you in the future.
We offer a market-competitive pay and benefits package according to your role and location.
What can this lead to?
Perform well and we'll consider you for our Markets & Securities Services Graduate Programme, where in your first year, you can explore a selection of our Sales, Trading and Global Research desks through rotations. Then you can specialise in an area you are passionate about, working to develop into a future leader on the trading floor and even beyond, in our international and ever-changing bank.
- Our Summer Internships are tailored to those in their penultimate year of study, but you may also apply if you have graduated already. This is a pipeline onto our 2022 Graduate Programme.
- Off-Cycle Internships are ideal for those that have graduated already and available to complete a 10 week internship from March 2021. Perform well, and you could join the Graduate Programme starting in the same year!
Minimum 2.1 undergraduate degree and 120 UCAS points or for those who passed exams before 2017, 300 UCAS points (or equivalent, excluding General studies)
Please be advised that you should apply for one HSBC Internship Programme. Candidates with multiple applications will be progressed on one application.
The base location for this role is London, although we offer opportunities globally, please refer to our website for further details. Please make sure that you will have the right to work in the UK at least until the end of the programme.
At HSBC we are open to different ideas and cultures, connected to our customers, communities and each other, and dependable, we do the right thing. These are the values that guide us every day. We seek to recruit people who share these values and will help us to sustain them.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!