HSBC and you
We are looking for collaborative and dedicated undergraduates to join our Summer Internship and ultimately our global Graduate Programme who are sociable networkers, diverse thinkers and great team players. At HSBC we are open to diverse ideas and cultures, being connected to our customers, communities and each other, and being dependable. These are the values that guide us every day as we strive to do the right thing for HSBC and our customers. We seek to recruit people who share these values and will help us to sustain them.
Who we are
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world. Our global businesses serve more than 40 million customers worldwide through a network that covers 65 countries and territories. We recognise that the talent and diversity of our people are the foundation of our success, and we hire, develop and promote employees based on merit. Our open, supportive and inclusive working environment encourages colleagues to be themselves and achieve their potential. We’re looking for talented people who are committed to helping us build and grow our business by balancing social, environmental and economic considerations in the decisions that they make.
Our network covers both established and emerging markets across Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, North America and Latin America. Within these markets, we serve our customers through our global businesses: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, Global Private Banking, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management which are in turn supported by global functional and operational areas such as Global Technology and Global Operations.
We aim to be one of the world’s leading international banks. We’ll achieve this by recruiting talented students and graduates who share our vision and our values, and can lead us into the future.
During this eight-week rotational Summer Internship you’ll get first-hand experience of working across different departments within Retail Banking and Wealth Management.
- Internship Induction – You will gain an understanding of the range and complexity of our Retail Banking and Wealth Management (RBWM) business, you will see how your skills match the rigours of the job where you will get an insight from our graduates on the programme and leaders in the Retail Banking and Wealth Management business
- Group Project and Learning Experiments - The Internship consists of a range of Head Office placements for you to gain an understanding of the Retail Banking network and for you to develop an awareness of products, services and processes. You will actively contribute to a project that has a positive impact on Retail Banking and Wealth Managements financial performance.
- Mentor/Graduate Coach – You will be supported through the internship by your Line Manager/Mentor/Graduate from whom will learn directly from and ask any questions about the programme, project or job role with which you are involved.
- Skills Sessions – These days are planned to expand the internship community skill set and develop skills and qualities that will aid your internship and beyond. You will receive practical training to complement your academic studies and you will be challenged to use your talents and academic knowledge to add value to the bank. This is also an opportunity to build your professional network within HSBC.
- Charity Day - You will actively give back to the community by getting involved in an event to support our leading charity ‘The Alzheimer’s Society’ or local charity in your area. This will focus on teamwork and communication skills.
- Farewell (2 Days) – This is a chance for you to reflect on your eight weeks and what you have learnt, how you have added value to the bank, and improved your professional and personal skills.
The internship is designed to provide students in their penultimate year of study with the chance to gain an invaluable insight into banking with a leading global bank with hands-on experience and on-the-job training which on completion, could secure a place on our Retail Banking and Wealth Management Graduate Programme.
- Based on your current results you must be on track to receive a minimum of a 2:1 degree classification/ 3.2 GPA or higher or overseas equivalent to this
- You must have obtained at least 300 UCAS* points pre September 2017 and 120 post September 2017 in accordance with UCAS tariff changes across your top three A2 Levels or equivalent, excluding General Studies (AS Levels and GCSE are not considered). Or if there were mitigating circumstances that prevented this, can you provide evidence of these.
- You must be in your Penultimate Year of Study. Expected Graduation Year 2021.
- The location for this role is UK wide, therefore, you must be able to commit to being nationally mobile and be available to undertake the travel required for this role.
- You can only apply for one HSBC Internship Programme each year
- By the time of starting employment, successful candidates must have permission to work in the UK for the entirety of the program.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!