- The role gives the successful candidate the opportunity to work in SMBC Nikko Global Markets, spending a rotation with each of the Equities, Fixed Income and Derivatives Departments.
- The candidate will gain an invaluable insight into the sales and trading functions across different markets and products, supporting our front office teams in pitches, client coverage, trading, pricing, analysis, research and much more.
- The role requires strong quantitative and analytical skills, in addition to the ability to assimilate complex information quickly and accurately. Markets businesses often work at high pace, requiring sound judgement, time-bound decision-making and strong communication skills.
- The role will support all the teams in Global Markets, rotating around the Equities, Fixed Income and Derivatives functions over the course of the programme.
- Each Department will provide you with a mentor and give you a specific list of relevant and value-added tasks that will immediately benefit the department and their clients. You may also be asked to work on ad hoc business development projects which can provide valuable learning experiences as well as an opportunity to work in more diverse teams.
- There may be a customer facing element to the role, shadowing sales people and traders, supporting KYC, conducting analysis and potentially attending client meetings
- A thorough understanding of the separate roles within Equities, i.e, Research, Sales, Execution, Trading & Corporate Access and how these areas interact.
- An appreciation of the Equity Business global strategy, and how that relates to local strategy and action points. Fresh ideas and input on these will be welcomed once sufficient understanding gained.
- The candidate would get the opportunity to hear corporates and analysts pitch their investment cases to end investors and would have opportunity to assess and discuss the merits of these pitches.
- They would also see how Equity Capital Markets interact with Equity Sales and Traders as we seek to raise new funds for our corporate customers.
- SMBC Nikko's Fixed Income Department is a growing and ambitious platform that includes market making services in Credit, Emerging Markets, ABS, Rates and Financing
- During the rotation, the candidate will spend time on each of these desks, supporting the Sales, Trading and Strategy staff.
- The candidate will obtain a thorough understanding of Fixed Income, and gain first had experience of client coverage, market making and desk strategy.
- The candidate will be expected to support team members on projects, client pitches, data analysis and generating trade ideas.
- Support senior team members discuss hedging, markets, ideas & strategies with clients, including Project Advisors, Corporate Treasurers & other senior Bankers.
- Modelling & pricing of trades using SMBC CM's in-house swap pricing, credit simulation & XVA models.
- Determination of appropriate credit charges for senior team member review.
- Preparation of indicative prices for clients (including surveys).
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- The candidates should be proactive, commercial, and resourceful, with a genuine interest in Markets and Trading activities.
- Quantitative skills including a good understanding of Microsoft packages, notably Excel.
- Ability to work effectively in a trading floor environment, prioritising tasks and assimilating information quickly.
- Demonstrate a self-starter mentality, working effectively both independently and as a team
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken
- Enthusiastic, curious and ambitious to learn