£21,255 - £24,856
Digitally transforming our future
Are you ready to be part of a world-leading, inspiring and ambitious team? We’re making some exciting changes to our company brands and uniting SNC-Lavalin, Atkins, and Faithful+ Gould (operating under AtkinsRéalis our new name is Project & Programme Services). Aligned to this we’re introducing a brand new look.
This is a journey, and it will take time to evolve, so for early careers you will still see us as Atkins for the time being. Please be reassured that this doesn’t impact any of the roles you apply for – we’re still us, just better.
Atkins, operating under AtkinsRéalis is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design, engineering and project management expertise. With us, you’ll join a team that asks questions and dares to see things differently while engineering a better future for our planet and its people.
Join our Placement Scheme where you'll be trusted with complex work and supported by your peers, line managers and senior leaders. Through a combination of on-the-job learning and practical skills development within your chosen role, you’ll work on real projects from day one that offer scale and variety collaborating with others and creating meaningful impact on the world around us. Whichever path you take, your future starts here.
Reaching your full potential means being able to bring your whole self to work and being respected for the different opinions, strengths and experience you bring. We’re not all the same, and that’s our greatest strength. Find out more about why we believe ‘Different, makes a difference’ on our website.
Where you could work
The Transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highways and Rail teams into a single business of 3,000 talented professionals. You will be working within the Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST) consultancy practice alongside over 70 specialist professionals contributing to the development of future transport. The IMST team assists public sector organisations in a wide number of activities, providing ‘whole life’ consultancy in the following areas:
• Digital and Smart Roads – consultancy advice on smart motorways, digital roads, traffic detection, stopped vehicle detection, enforcement, and management of severe weather.
• Emerging Mobility – taking an end-user and outcome-focused approach to connecting people, places and services using data, technology and innovative ideas, and applying these to develop Digital Demand Responsive Transport (DDRT), Mobility as a Service (MaaS), electric vehicle solutions and data strategies.
• Intelligent Transport Operations – advice on transport operations, including the intelligent management of traffic, road charging, enforcement of roads, bridges, tunnels, city cordons and HGV/Truck monitoring.
• Safety, Behaviours and Research – applying a blend of behavioural science, social science, human centred design, operational knowledge and safety risk expertise to shape future transport strategies and operations.
• Transport Technology Advisory – consultancy advice on traffic signals and control systems, transport data analytics, public transport technology and smart ticketing.
Join us as a placement student in our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies practice and be part of something big. We’ve a growing range of clients, and we need many different skills and capabilities to deliver projects for them. We believe that diversity is the key to success and makes us stand out from the crowd, and therefore are searching for students from a variety of degree types and backgrounds to join our team.
Industrial placement locations: Birmingham, Epsom, London, Manchester
Degree Requirements : On track to achieve a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (minimum 2.2).
We are keen to hear from people with a wide variety of academic backgrounds, including but not limited to:
Analytics, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Data Management, Data Science, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Human Factors, Information & data, Mathematics, Operational Research, Physics, Science, Social Sciences, Statistics, Systems Engineering, Transport Economics, Transport Management, Transport Planning, Transport Studies
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- The delivery of high quality, innovative client solutions as part of a team
- Data processing, technical report writing, requirements gathering
- Project management support for small-to medium sized projects
- Assisting in the development of consultancy offerings, bids, and propositions
- Technical consultancy and assurance, and growing your area of technical expertise
We link ITS with future-focused technology opportunities, working across the transport sector to help our clients navigate a rapidly changing world. We have market-leading capability in motorway control systems, toll road systems, urban traffic control, traffic operations, traffic signalling and smart ticketing. We blend this with thinking and advice on emerging trends and growing areas such as digital highways, mobility as a service (MaaS), big data and data exploitation, electric vehicles (EVs), and connected and autonomous Vehicles (CAVs). We deliver projects that push the boundaries of transportation and consider road safety, human factors, and scientific behaviuoral research as complimentary disciplines to our established technical practice.
What you’ll need
- An understanding of the consultancy environment
- To embrace equality, diversity and inclusion in everything you do
- A desire to work collaboratively with a curious approach, challenging yourself to find new solutions
- Enthusiasm and drive to develop your skillset and seek out development opportunities within a supportive team
- To be comfortable embracing agile ways of working and learning new technologies
Meeting your needs
We aim to promote a workplace which allows our people to perform at their best. So, as well as ensuring you’re rewarded for your efforts, we also have a variety of initiatives in place to create a healthy workplace and support your well-being to include:
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) providing you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life matters
- Join any of our employee networks for social interaction, peer support and personal development, as well as contributing to the development of policies and working practices
In addition to the above, our top performing placement students (who’ve completed at least 8 weeks on placement with us) have the opportunity to be nominated onto our Graduate Development Programme.
To view all available benefits, visit our Total Rewards portal.
How do I apply?
Click " Apply " below to start your application.
Do also check out our Connectr platform for tips and advice on applying. You can message your questions directly to one of our graduate mentors.
We’re a Disability Confident Employer, and can make adjustments to support you to perform at your best during the recruitment process. Please contact us confidentially to find out how we can support you.
Our programmes are incredibly popular, so please apply as soon as possible as roles will close based on the volume of applications.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy. From designing end-to-end project solutions to pioneering new technologies and ways of working, everything we do supports our goal of delivering outstanding project outcomes for our clients, while engineering a better future for our planet and its people – no matter the scale, complexity or location of their project.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins are an A rated sponsor, if you have any queries regarding sponsorship, please visit our International Student careers page.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
£21,255 - £24,856