One Programme, Two Years, Three Secondments, Endless Opportunities
There has never been a more exciting time to join the nuclear sector. From energy generation to waste management, transport through to decommissioning, the Nuclear Graduates programme provides you with the opportunity to contribute to some of the biggest challenges facing our society.
The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority has brought together leading businesses and organisations to create the award winning & professionally accredited Nuclear Graduates programme.
Whether your passion lies within science, engineering or business, Nuclear Graduates will ensure that over two years you will gain an invaluable insight into the breadth of the UK’s nuclear sector, giving you the opportunity to contribute to innovative designs, systems, products, and services.
As a Nuclear Graduate, you will have the opportunity to see the nuclear sector from different perspectives, learning from leading experts on projects that have real impact. You will also receive a programme of professional development to enhance your skills and expertise, whilst also demonstrating a commitment to understanding the communities in which the nuclear sector works.
ONR sponsored nuclear graduates may undertake a range of activities with ONR inspectors including:
- inspection of nuclear installations and transport activities;
- permissioning of licensee's activities based on safety case assessment;
- securing improvements at site and strategic level when necessary;
- interacting with and providing advice to a wide range of stakeholders including government departments;
- assessment and inspection of local authority emergency plans.
The role of an ONR sponsored nuclear graduate involves providing technical support to ONR inspectors in managing, planning and carrying out their regulatory duties.
The role of an ONR sponsored nuclear graduate provides a potential development route to become a Band 4 Associate and later a Band 3 Inspector. As an ONR sponsored nuclear graduate, you will be part of ONR’s Initial Professional Development Programme (IPDP) alongside Degree Apprentices, Band 4 Associates and Band 3 Equivalent Inspectors.
ONR sponsors nuclear graduates in a range of disciplines. Previous ONR sponsored nuclear graduates have had backgrounds in a range of areas including physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, geology, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, cyber security, aerospace engineering, materials science, electrical engineering, mathematics and psychology.
Throughout your two-year journey on the Nuclear Graduates programme you will be employed by Energus whilst being supported by an industry leading sponsoring organisation.
At the end of your two-year programme, you will be supported in securing a role with your sponsoring organisation or within the wider nuclear sector.
- A minimum of a 2:2 in a relevant degree subject, achieved within the last 5 years
- The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment
- Successful completion of security clearance checks
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel and relocate. Energus head office is based in Workington, Cumbria, however role locations will vary dependent on sponsor location.
Start date: September 2024
The recruitment and selection process consists of the following stages:
- Online application form - please complete all required sections of the application to ensure this is submitted successfully.
- Online assessments & videos - throughout your recruitment journey you will be invited to complete online assessments which may contain video elements.
- Assessment centre – these will be delivered face to face and will involve various activities, alongside insightful information around the nuclear industry and our programme.
- Offer - following our assessment centres, we aim to issue outcomes within two weeks. Successful candidates will begin their exciting journey as a Nuclear Graduate, working with our dedicated Energus People & Skills team to complete security paperwork ahead of starting the programme in September 2024.
- Onboarding - we welcome all our graduates ahead of the start date, through social media groups and welcome sessions, ensuring you are prepared, and any support required is in place, providing you with the best start to your exciting future as a Nuclear Graduate.
Face-to-face assessment centres will take place week commencing 3rd March 2024. If you are invited to an assessment centre and unable to attend, unfortunately you may be unable to complete the selection process.
We encourage you to regularly check emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) throughout the selection process, all correspondence including selection invitation will be sent via email.
Closing Date: Sunday 14th January
Any applications received after this date will not be considered. Nuclear Graduates roles will be closed when maximum application numbers are reached. We encourage that you apply at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment. Please note only one Nuclear Graduates application is required, please do not submit multiple applications.
- Salary £30,000 per year
- £5,500 individual travel budget
- £3,500 flexible individual training budget
- £9,900 core training & development
- Access to three secondments to give you experience across the breadth of the UK nuclear sector
- A dedicated team of experts to support your development and progress throughout your time on the programme
- A sponsor company lead to provide you with day-to-day support during your programme and with your secondments
- A dedicated mentor, assigned to you upon starting the programme who will stay with you throughout your Nuclear Graduates journey
- A comprehensive, tailored programme of professional development
- The support of a dedicated Nuclear Graduates programme team throughout the two years of your graduate programme. As Mental Health First Aiders the team are fully equipped to assist you through your Nuclear Graduates journey
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 6 discretionary days leave for study and relocation
- Energus contributory pension scheme
- Energus Employee Assistance Programme and DigiCare+
- EnergUS Extras, providing in-house news, wellbeing resources and employee discounts
- Membership of up to 2 professional institutions
- Access to an independent Employee Assistance Programme service offering a 24/7 support line
- Opportunity to participate in our Cycle2Work Scheme