BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area/Dept Overview
BNP Paribas’ Global Markets business offers a broad range of products and services in the global interest rates, credit, currency, equities & commodity markets. Global Markets help their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk. Their client base comprises of hundreds of corporations, institutional investors, banks, governments and supranational organizations.
Global Markets has the scale and reach to conduct business anywhere in the world and deliver products denominated in almost all of the world’s currencies. Their global network comprises more than 1,700 professionals working on our six main trading floors in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Singapore and Tokyo. They are supported by regional offices throughout Europe, the Americas, Middle East and Asia-Pacific.
Purpose & Scope of role
- Purpose: To produce economic analysis (including forecasts) on European economies. To assist other members of the team to produce insightful, value-added research to support our internal and external clients in their activities.
- Operates under daily supervision from line management
- Scope: Primarily Europe, with some focus on global issues in addition
Key Responsibilities of role
- Covering key monetary, fiscal, and other macroeconomic events in the eurozone, including analysing economic data prints as they are released.
- Keeping abreast of key political developments that have implications for the macroeconomy and/or financial markets.
- Fulfilling client requests and interacting with clients on the above topics, both remotely and in person.
- Producing in-depth research on ongoing themes.
- Supporting the team in producing research, presentations and day-to-day output for internal stakeholders and for clients. This includes contributing to the daily morning comment which summarises the key European macroeconomic themes for the day ahead.
- Developing and reinforcing the BNP Paribas Research brand
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- A degree in economics or other with a strong economics and/or quantitative focus.
- Knowledge of key economic data, including how to extract and gather data from various sources, checking consistency and quality, as well as how to interpret and analyse the data.
- Ability to develop and apply mathematical or statistical models to data sets to predict outcomes
- Knowledge of the macroeconomy and how to analyse developments in gross domestic product, inflation, the labour market as well as survey-based metrics.
- Some knowledge of how to interpret macroeconomic policymaking, including fiscal and monetary policy.
- Evidences a good appreciation of economics and financial market dynamics, with enough understanding to present views on market conditions and trends.
- Corporate role model, integrity & ethics – Acts with discipline and high ethical standards
- Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good Conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure
Behaviour Skills :
Attention to detail / rigor
- Is detail oriented and thoroughly reviews documents and information.
- Adheres to deadlines according to established procedures/rules. Accurately follows processes required in their work.
Ability to deliver / Results driven
- Able to deliver tasks/projects fully completed on time, based on objectives fixed as well as striving to achieve goals beyond basic requirements
- Where relevant, works without supervision and optimises on guidance from senior staff
- Adapts attitudes and behaviours to changing work environments and circumstances.
- Is open to different types of development actions and is able to adjust and implement new practices accordingly. Shows curiosity to learn more about topics directly related to their work, by being aware of the trends and main changes in their field of expertise.
- Seeks to clarify when things are not clear or obvious in order to correctly understand issues/projects/etc. Is able to identify the benefits or problems in a proposal or argument.
- Tries to contextualise actions that are done at their level, and ensures that these actions are aligned with goals set.
Communication skills – oral & written
- Is an effective communicator, who can deliver complex and clear information or messages, both oral or written
- Communicates pro-actively with management, escalating issues as necessary.
- Is an active listener.
- Ability to collaborate / team work
- Team player & cross cultural awareness – Works effectively in a team. Collaborates and shares information and solutions with colleagues, with other teams and stakeholders as well has having the ability to interact with other desks.
Personal Skills :
- Displays dedication & prioritises problems by considering the impact on the business; identifies quick-wins
- Stays calm and positive, controls his/her emotions in conflict or any situation of intense stress (due to market, time or client pressure).
- Ability to undertake a number of issues simultaneously is essential as well as the ability to work under pressure
- Passion, tenacity and resilience in an ever changing environment
- Thinks laterally to identify other sources of useful information and sees ways around obstacles and barriers.
Methodologies / tools :
- Expert MS office proficiency (including Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word).
- Some statistical, analytical and computer skills (econometric packages such as Eviews)
- Some knowledge of transversal financial market activities, main products, actors & clients
- MSc in Economics, or quant subject
- Knowledge of another European language beyond English
- Strong statistical, analytical and computer skills (e.g. Python)