Do you want to work for a fast-paced, innovative, high growth company that is changing the world of institutional fixed income trading?
Do you want to develop best-in-class trading technology that is used by premier financial institutions globally?
If your answer is “yes” to the above, we invite you to explore our opportunity for an Applications Developer Intern within our Technology team.Within the financial markets, the name MarketAxess is synonymous with delivering innovative technology to the global fixed income electronic trading markets.
The development of our Platform is at the core of our business. Our Technology Team includes product specific teams covering Post Trade Services, Private Banking Trading, data and analytics, and web-based development with a strong focus on Cloud based technologies.
There is no better way to experience what a career at MarketAxess has to offer than through our eleven-week internship programme. As a 2020 Summer intern with MarketAxess, you will grow your skills through on-the-job training and professional development, including classroom training that will get you quickly up to speed on the Financial Markets generally, and the Credit Markets in particular.
You will participate in a variety of projects working on real business problems. You will be well supported, receiving regular feedback from your manager as well as having a dedicated buddy. Our summer internship programme offers the opportunity to build new professional skills and grow your professional network, as well as providing an in-depth insight into career possibilities at MarketAxess.
This is a full-time, paid internship that will begin on 16 June and conclude on 27 August 2020.
What type of work can you expect to do?
During this internship you will work with other developers, architects, test engineers and product management in the development of real-time systems. You will join an Agile Scrum team whose goal is to build new products and enhance existing ones. Being on an Agile Scrum team, you will be asked to engage in the following activities daily:
- Understand business requirements
- Participate in software design
- Provide estimates
- Write code and unit tests
- Participate in code reviews
- Fix bugs
Our challenge is to build robust and high-quality software as quickly as possible. This is an entrepreneurial environment that rewards creativity and initiative. Occasional long hours and/or weekend hours required, especially around a software release.
What you’ll need
To be considered, you must have the following technical requirements:
- Well-versed in modern application design paradigms and patterns
- Exposure to Cloud hosted technologies (AWS, Azure)
- Basic knowledge of enterprise RDBMS (Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server)
- Experience with one of the following Enterprise Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
And the following technical knowledge is “a plus”:
- Exposure to JAVA programming language
Given the type of work you will be doing we think you should have the following personal characteristics:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as organizational and problem resolution skills
- Team player and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to function well in a competitive, challenging environment, and the ability to deal with changing priorities
- Ability to demonstrate analytical and methodical thinking, excellent problem solving skills
And, in addition:
- You will be a penultimate year student (graduating in 2021)
- Working towards a degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
- You should be on track for a 2:1 or better (or equivalent)
- You will have the Right to Work in UK
What you’ll get in return
- A competitive salary (pro-rated)
- An opportunity to build your knowledge of the Financial Markets and the career opportunities they provide
- An opportunity to learn from some of the best and the brightest in the business
- Great offices in the heart of the City, with transport, shopping and restaurants right on your doorstep
- Office perks including free hot drinks, cereal and fruit as well as occasional hot breakfasts, lunches and after work drinks
- The chance to join our 2021 graduate programme if you perform well over the summer
At MarketAxess, we are driving a fundamental shift to trade bonds online vs. over the phone—creating a new marketplace that is easier to access, more transparent, and available to participants across the globe. Working at a leading fintech company means being in the moment, exploring new ideas, and meeting clients’ ever changing needs. It’s exciting to bring tangible innovation to the credit industry as part of a new era in finance.
Formed in 2000, MarketAxess strives to maintain an entrepreneurial culture, where we encourage new ideas and pride ourselves on our ability to execute. Our flat organization offers high visibility across the company. At the crossroad of fixed income trading and technology innovation, MarketAxess offers a unique place to work.
MarketAxess is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam, São Paulo, Singapore, and Hong Kong. MarketAxess is an independent, publicly traded company (NASDAQ:MKTX ).
MarketAxess is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and have a fulfilling career.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!