Do you want to work for a fast-paced, innovative, high growth company that is changing the world of institutional fixed income trading?
Do you want to develop best-in-class trading technology that is used by premier financial institutions globally?
If your answer is “yes!” to the above, we invite you to explore our internship opportunity as a Junior Product Owner within our London Technology team.
Within the financial markets, the name MarketAxess is synonymous with delivering innovative technology to the global fixed income electronic trading markets. The development of our trading functionality and data services is at the core of our business. Our Technology team includes product specific trading teams, a group that works on connectivity to our institutional investor clients and broker-dealer clients, data and analytics, and web-based development.
If you are interested in exploring a career that places you at the cross-roads of financial services and technology, then our Junior Product Owner internship may be for you.
There is no better way to experience what a career at MarketAxess has to offer than through our eleven-week internship programme. As a 2020 Summer intern with MarketAxess, you will grow your skills through on-the-job training and professional development, including classroom training that will get you quickly up to speed on the Financial Markets generally, and the Credit Markets in particular.
You will participate in a variety of projects working on real business problems. You will be well supported, receiving regular feedback from your manager as well as having a dedicated buddy. Our summer internship programme offers the opportunity to build new professional skills and grow your professional network, as well as providing an in-depth insight into career possibilities at MarketAxess.
This is a full-time, paid internship that will begin on 16 June and conclude on 27 August 2020.
What type of work can you expect to do?
The development of our trading functionality and data services is at the core of our business. In this position, you will work with other Product Owners, developers, architects, test engineers and product management in the development of real-time fixed income trading systems. You will join an Agile Scrum team whose goal is to build new products and enhance existing ones. Being on an Agile Scrum team, you will be asked to engage in the following activities:
- gain knowledge of European debt trading practices and conventions from both Buy-Side and Sell-Side perspective.
- become familiar with Agile culture, processes, practices and tooling.
- learn to identify customer needs and articulate them to the cross functional teams responsible for delivering products that meet those needs.
- learn to prioritise the backlog of work so that it best supports the execution of the product strategy.
- collaborate closely with Product Manager and other Product Owners to ensure the delivery of coherent and consistently high-quality products delivered at pace.
- translate customer and business needs into user stories, eliciting NFRs and creating artefacts needed to describe the solutions intent.
- be comfortable show casing progress to large groups through demos and walkthroughs.
- work closely with the Developers in all aspects of design and development of solutions
- participate in the Product planning process, creating realistic Release Plans and managing stakeholder expectations for the delivery of new features
Our challenge is to build robust and high-quality software which delivers value to our client community. This is an entrepreneurial environment that rewards creativity and initiative. Occasional long hours and/or weekend hours required, especially around a software release.
What you’ll need
Given the type of work you will be doing we think you should have the following personal characteristics:
- Ability to function well in a challenging environment and the ability to deal with changing priorities
- An understanding of agile methodology, at least at an elementary level
- Highly numerate, strong analytical and technology skills, good attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical stakeholders (for example, working with our Sales teams and drafting Client facing documentation)
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and change
- A self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
And, in addition:
- You will be a penultimate year student (graduating in 2021)
- Studying for a degree in Computer Science, IT or similar discipline
- You should be on track for a 2:1 or better (or equivalent)
- You will have the Right to Work in UK
What you’ll get in return
- A competitive salary (pro-rated)
- An opportunity to build your knowledge of the Financial Markets and the career opportunities they provide
- An opportunity to learn from some of the best and the brightest in the business
- Great offices in the heart of the City, with transport, shopping and restaurants right on your doorstep
- Office perks including free hot drinks, cereal and fruit as well as occasional hot breakfasts, lunches and after work drinks
- The chance to join our 2021 graduate programme if you perform well over the summer
At MarketAxess, we are driving a fundamental shift to trade bonds online vs. over the phone—creating a new marketplace that is easier to access, more transparent, and available to participants across the globe. Working at a leading fintech company means being in the moment, exploring new ideas, and meeting clients’ ever changing needs. It’s exciting to bring tangible innovation to the credit industry as part of a new era in finance.
Formed in 2000, MarketAxess strives to maintain an entrepreneurial culture, where we encourage new ideas and pride ourselves on our ability to execute. Our flat organization offers high visibility across the company. At the crossroad of fixed income trading and technology innovation, MarketAxess offers a unique place to work.
MarketAxess is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam, São Paulo, Singapore, and Hong Kong. MarketAxess is an independent, publicly traded company.
MarketAxess is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and have a fulfilling career.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!