Overview of the service line & team
The Financial Advisory Services (FAS) team is a rapidly growing, award winning and global group. You will be joining a team at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and national creditor advisory services; all with the ultimate aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a wide range of financial issues. Our FAS specialists support clients raising finance for large infrastructure projects, advise on corporate acquisitions (both in the UK and cross border), restructure businesses to secure livelihoods and act as experts on high profile international investigations and disputes.
As part of the Due Diligence team, you will support corporate clients, private equity providers and investment funds through mergers, acquisitions and disposals while you progress towards achieving a professional qualification. Our clients’ main objective is to maximise their return on the deal – we help them understand the opportunities and risks of the deal by thoroughly assessing the target company’s finances. We are sector agnostic meaning you will gain a breadth of experience across many sectors including technology, media, telecoms, real estate, renewable energy and healthcare both in the UK and around the world.
As a Due Diligence trainee, your time will be split between working in the office and studying for your professional exams.
During your first year you will:
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of financial due diligence reports.
- Prepare targeted analysis of data under the supervision of project managers and effectively communicate any identified issues to the project team.
- Assist managers and partners by preparing tables, charts and appendices for inclusion in reports.
- Develop an understanding of a variety of financial and accounting principles and the nature of businesses in numerous sectors.
- Be able to identify relevant information and critically analyse the information to support the project team.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from targets whilst also building effective rapport with clients.
During your second year you will:
- Be able to take ownership of drafting sections allocated in a financial due diligence report.
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring it is client ready and consistent with the expected house styles and quality.
- Be able to provide assistance to less experience team members.
- Support the team in its business development and marketing activities.
- Effectively balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
In your final year you will be expected to be able to take responsibility for larger sections of due diligence reports ensuring completion within stated deadlines. This will include actively participating in both team and client meetings and taking responsibility for the budget of the project. [Potential to take on responsibility of running limited scope due diligences under the guidance of a manager/partner].
- Demonstrates strong analytical and research skills and possesses an investigative mind;
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and adopts a pro-active approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload;
- Produces accurate and timely work;
- Participates in meetings, providing information and ideas with clarity and persuasiveness;
- Ability to build relationships;
- Respects differences in people and values diversity of ideas;
- Actively seeks to enhance own expertise and knowledge;
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to self-development; and
- Professional approach to work and clients i.e. professional appearance, respect for individuals, and ethical conduct.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund for you to study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!