Aerodynamics at MBDA has a broad range of multi-disciplinary skills and a wide range of ongoing activities, providing opportunities to work on the entire MBDA UK portfolio from concept phase, through maturation and development, to in-service support. As part of the UK defence industry, we are able to provide unique opportunities across a wide range of applications.
This is a great opportunity to begin your aerodynamics career in one of the most exciting areas of the aerospace industry work and to work alongside a team of world-class aerodynamicists at the forefront of missile aerodynamics.
What will you be doing?
You will be designing the missiles of the future, learning to use cutting-edge aerodynamic techniques with guidance and support from our team of aerodynamicists. During your time here you will undertake a placement aiming to expose you to some of the following areas:
- Application and development of our bespoke tools alongside commercial software to evaluate the performance of airframes
- Design of a range of missiles, in all the different stages of their development (concept, assessment, development, in-service)
- Stealth, propulsion, thermal and structural aspects of missile design and how these feed in to a multi-disciplinary design approach
- Missile integration onto land, naval and air platforms
- Investigations into and integration of solid rocket motors and air-breathing engines into missile airframes and their impact on missile aerodynamics and overall performance
The summer placement project selected for you will utilise a lot of the knowledge gained during your university course and apply this to an industry specific problem. In the past there have been a mixture of projects that have been self-contained delivering industry relevant conclusions to the aerodynamic team. The short time frame of a summer placement offers an opportunity to get a feel for MBDA and the type of work that we do.
What's in it for you?
You'll no doubt have seen all the information on our website about our comprehensive and customisable benefits package (please note not all benefits are available to summer placement students)
What are we looking for?
- Currently studying an aerospace engineering or other related subject.
- A passion for aerodynamics and propulsion
- The ability to clearly communicate and present ideas including preparing technical presentations and reports.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
All graduates, undergraduates and apprentices at MBDA are required to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to their respective role. Some roles, may be reserved for UK nationals and certain categories of information may be restricted to UK nationals also. To gain suitable clearance individuals will need to have lived in UK for up to 5 years dependent on the level of clearance required.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) #LI-DNI
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!