What’s the opportunity?
The Electronic department provides complex electronic solutions to meet the demanding needs of missile, launch platforms and other support equipment.
“We start at the requirements and develop architectures, these then follow into the detailed design phase (the actual circuit design) and then to the verification, validation and qualification of the hardware where we test the hardware to provide evidence that our designs do what we expect them to do (verification) and meet the customers’ requirements (Validation). We then carry out tests in extreme conditions to ensure the products will operate in the harsh conditions they have to survive in (Qualification).” Leo, Graduate.
The summer placement programme is an excellent starting point if you are considering a future Graduate scheme with us.
What will you be doing?
You will be part of a small team (usually 8 people) of other undergraduate summer placement students. The placement will last 3 months, during which you will be given a missile related project to plan, manage, design and deliver. How you meet the solution will be down to you and your team members to determine. To help guide you, you will be supported by experienced engineers from multiple engineering disciplines (Mechanical, Test Systems, Software, etc.). You will also have dedicated mentors to help you both technically and professionally.
The projects will encompass and provide development in one or a number of the following electronics design related skills:
- Detailed Circuit Design
- Analogue and Digital Circuit Test Techniques
- Analysis and Characterisation Techniques
- Manufacturing (Machining, PCB Manufacture, Circuit Card Assembly)
- Test & Evaluation of Design
“The project I was working on felt like a real one and that gave a brilliant insight into working in the engineering industry and at MBDA. This was helped along by my project leaders who were brilliant. They were knowledgeable and keen to assist me when I needed guidance. They were also friendly and approachable.” Adi, Electronics Summer Placement
What are the benefits for you?
- Work with highly talented and experienced engineers from a large range of engineering disciplines.
- Develop and broaden technically and professionally within a respected company and multi-skilled team.
- Be mentored and coached by experienced engineers in the art of designing electronics for military products.
- All the training Schemes within Electronics Engineering are accredited with the IET. Registration at Eng. Tech level is a possibility for undergraduates who have 2+ Summer Industrial Placements. MBDA can help in achieving this registration during the Summer Placement period.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Organise your team and carry out the project as you see fit (within certain boundaries); its success or failure is in your hands.
- Varied team of summer placement students from different stages of their undergraduate degree, some of whom will likely have completed one or more summer placements already.
- Excellent exposure to the development life cycle for electronic design.
- Opportunities to collaborate with other engineering disciplines and exposure to working with multi-skilled engineering teams
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Currently studying towards a Degree in
- Motivated and committed with good organisational skills and an appetite for learning new skills.
- Interest in electronic engineering, technology, and engineering in general.
- Practical knowledge of common software languages (C/C++, VHDL, etc.) is beneficial but not essential.
What would you get?
- £16,000, £17,00 or £18,000 Salary dependant on year of study, pro-rated for 10-12 week placement
- Flexible working
- Paid overtime
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Sporting activities
- Fantastic site facilities
- On the job learning and development opportunities.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!