What’s the opportunity?
Environmental Engineering & Facilities (EE&F) provide MBDA with the ability to simulate real world mechanical and climatic environments (vibration, shock, temperature, etc.). Our facilities and expertise allow us to design, develop and test our products to ensure they work as required and remain safe in service.
The work conducted spans both practical and theoretical aspects, and will allow you to get hands-on with our weapon systems and products, while creating and testing against environmental requirements at all stages of a product development cycle.
What will you be doing?
Experience a huge variation of work where each day could be different; including project planning, conducting shock and vibration tests in our lab, mechanical stress testing and data gathering trials and analysis.
- Be given responsibility for delivering tasks of real substance from the start.
- Attend off-site firings and data gathering trials.
- Analyse and interpret data from flight and firing trials, or from laboratory tests.
- Write technical engineering documents, present findings and offer design aid to other teams.
- Influence the product design by defining environmental requirements in line with the customer’s needs and expectations.
What are the benefits for you?
- Work in a supportive & technically challenging, fluid working environment.
- Work towards Chartership through MBDA’s accredited schemes with institutions such as IMechE, RAeS and IET. A Chartered mentor will aid you throughout this process. 100% fees paid during the graduate scheme.
- Gain experience and an appreciation of good practice in requirements specification, defining and conducting tests, and detailed data analysis.
- Develop practical skills in project management, mechanical and climatic testing and data analysis.
- Learn how a whole weapon system is developed from an environmental perspective, through risk reduction, design assessment and ultimate qualification testing for customer acceptance and in service use.
- Hands-on experience with the physical hardware; missiles, subsystems and weapon system, not just designs and drawings!
- Travel nationally or internationally, either for trials or to work with our French and Italian colleagues.
- Due to the environmental department’s unique position within the company, you will also learn how projects are run from a systems perspective.
- Work on a range of products in all stages of development, as well as on weapon systems currently in service.
“At a graduate level, real-world experience of mechanical and environmental testing is quite rare. I think the quality of training in EE&F generally is such that as long as you have a base in the theory, you can pick up the physical testing side quickly and safely by shadowing others or doing it yourself under supervision. The role doesn’t involve spending your day at a desk; one day you can be in the lab, the next you could be offsite supporting a trial. For me this is highly motivating!” Matt, Environmental Graduate
What’s great about joining this team?
- The strong sense of team spirit – we have semi-regular team building workshops / symposiums where we celebrate achievements and often work together to solve issues.
- Learn from an experienced team ready to share their knowledge; both from recent graduates and those with years of experience.
- Learn what it takes to operate as a UKAS accredited laboratory.
- Get involved in a wide range of technically demanding test procedures, both mechanical and climatic.
- We’re also a social bunch! There are regular social events throughout the year, in addition to departmental sports teams participating in various company events.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Degree qualified by September 2020 in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related discipline to a minimum of 2:2.
- Good technical report writing and presentation skills.
- A willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, when under pressure.
- To succeed in this role you will need to be organised and have a keen eye for detail.
- You should be keen to learn and have a personal drive to develop your skills both on the job and through training.
What would you get?
- Starting Salary of £26,500 with two pay reviews per year during the first 2 years,
- Joining bonus of £2000 if you have a Bachelors or £2500 if you have a Masters,
- annual company bonus scheme
- Continuous learning and development opportunities.
- flexible working hours
- fantastic site facilities
- paid overtime
- 25 days paid holiday
- a comprehensive pension scheme
- employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- sporting activities
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!