What’s the opportunity?
The Hardware in the Loop (HWIL) department is a unique facility that tests missile hardware in a dynamic flight environment and analyses missile system behaviour and performance. The team consists of highly skilled and versatile engineers with a broad mixture of technical expertise and experience. The department has an exciting project available and is looking for a candidate with an interest in writing software tool to setup and tune a real time computing environment on Linux.
What will you be doing?
HWIL work involves designing, developing and using closed loop HWIL simulations, which include the following components operating and interacting together
- Real time computing, software and mathematical models (e.g. Aerodynamics)
- Communication (I/O) interfaces and electrical test equipment
- Missile Hardware subsystems (Seeker, Inertial Measurement Unit and Missile Computer)
- High performance hydraulic equipment to represent missile and target motion
- Target scene generators to produce representative Infrared or Radio Frequency target scenes
- When testing real hardware it is essential that HWIL Simulation run in real time, this means we must complete all the operations and calculations required by the real hardware in a short period of time often measured in microseconds, or sometimes even nanoseconds. Being able to utilise the potential of our powerful real time computers and complete these operations as quickly as possible is key. This placement will focus on developing the internal tools and functions necessary to run our real time simulations on Linux.
What are the benefits for you?
This Summer Placement in HWIL will allow the development of a wide range of skills which may include but will not be limited to:
- Software/Coding skills –focused on designing, writing and testing software, gaining experience in all these areas within a technical working environment
- Analytical skills – Real time computing is about timing, you will use and develop your analytical skills to understand if new functions/tools are working correctly and meet the necessary specifications
- Integration skills – Once you have developed a series of tools you will have the opportunity to integrate it into a HWIL missile simulation
What’s great about joining this team?
A small, multi-skilled team, doing complex technical work and experiencing a wide variety of technologies and engineering disciplines. The UK HWIL team is part of a wider, integrated, international HWIL team conducting similar activities in France and Italy, where sharing of knowledge, tools and techniques is strongly promoted.
“I was quickly given a key role within a project at the beginning stages of integration into the facility. Although this was challenging and there was a lot to take in, HWIL has an extremely helpful and knowledgeable team who are more than happy to point towards a solution which makes it a fantastic learning environment. The work was a great mix of hardware and software development, which was exactly what I wanted in my initial 6 months placement. I haven’t even scratched the surface of what I could learn within the department and I am looking forward to a challenging and rewarding future in HWIL!” Adam, HWIL Graduate
“I found settling into the team easy as they are all very friendly and approachable. I undertake and contribute to a wide range of tasks throughout my role which means that the work is varied day to day” Olivia, HWIL Graduate
Who and what we are looking for?
- Currently studying towards a Degree in Software, Engineering or any other technical Degree (Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace, Electronics, Computing, Control Theory, Systems etc)
- Good communication skills
- Interest in solving problems
- Basic experience of Coding (C, C++ and Linux Scripting would be advantageous)
- Basic experience using Linux (Experience using CentOS or RedHat and its derivatives is an added benefit but not essential)
What would you get?
- £16,000, £17,00 or £18,000 Salary dependant on year of study, pro-rated for 10-12 week placement
- Flexible working
- Paid overtime
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Sporting activities
- Fantastic site facilities
- On the job learning and development opportunities.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!