The Hardware in the Loop (HWIL) department is a unique facility that integrates complex missile subsystems and simulates their dynamic flights as if in a real-world environment.
In the labs there are Electro-optic (EO), LASER and Radio Frequency (RF) devices, anechoic chambers and multiple Carco 3-axis hydraulic motion tables. The small, but versatile, team have a mixture of technical expertise that enables them to invent the electronics and equipment needed for the labs, design the experiments, create custom software and hardware simulations, and deliver the outputs to support expensive company trials.
The department has an exciting project available and is looking for a candidate with an interest in writing software tool to setup and tune a real time computing environment on Linux.
What's the opportunity?
When testing real hardware it is essential that HWIL Simulation run in real time, this means we must complete all the operations and calculations required by the real hardware in a short period of time often measured in microseconds, or sometimes even nanoseconds. Being able to utilise the potential of our powerful real time computers and complete these operations as quickly as possible is key. This placement will focus on developing the internal tools and functions necessary to run our real time simulations on Linux.
In HWIL there are a vast number of other opportunities to get ‘hands-on’. Every member of the team has the ability to work on tasks such as:
- Real time computing, software coding and mathematical models.
- Communication (I/O) interfaces and electrical test equipment.
- Testing Missile hardware subsystems (Seeker, Inertial Measurement Unit and Missile Computer).
- Control of the hydraulic motion tables to simulate dynamic flight.
- Design and control of target scene generators to emit Infrared or Radio Frequency radiation.
This Summer Placement in HWIL will allow the development of a wide range of skills which may include but will not be limited to:
- Software/Coding skills –focused on designing, writing and testing software, gaining experience in all these areas within a technical working environment.
- Analytical skills – Real time computing is about timing, you will use and develop your skills to understand if new functions/tools are working correctly and meet the necessary specifications.
- Integration skills – Once you have developed a series of tools you will have the opportunity to integrate it into a HWIL missile simulation.
What's in it for you?
You'll no doubt have seen all the information on our website about our comprehensive and customisable benefits package (please note that not all benefits are available to our summer placement and undergraduate students).
What are we looking for?
- Currently studying towards a Degree in Software, Engineering or any other technical Degree (Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace, Electronics, Computing, Control Theory, Systems etc.).
- Good communication skills.
- Interest in solving problems.
- Basic experience of Coding (C, C++ and Linux Scripting would be advantageous).
- Basic experience using Linux (Experience using CentOS or RedHat and its derivatives is an added benefit but not essential).
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
All graduates, undergraduates and apprentices at MBDA are required to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to their respective role. Some roles, may be reserved for UK nationals and certain categories of information may be restricted to UK nationals also. To gain suitable clearance individuals will need to have lived in UK for up to 5 years dependent on the level of clearance required.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) #LI-DNI
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!