What’s the opportunity?
Systems Design Engineers work within the design community, defining the specifications for developing weapon systems within the System Design and Validation Function (SD&V). The function is involved in:
- Conceptualising new products and technologies
- Writing system and sub-system level specifications
- Developing and managing requirements
- Proving, validation and certification
- Integrating hardware and software
- Platform integration (airframes, vehicles, ships)
- Simulating weapon system performance and analysing missile trials data
What will you be doing?
Two 5-month placements in SD&V: Work in a variety of projects at different stages in their lifecycle (as shown in list above) from future capabilities to in-service products.
What are the benefits for you?
- Gain experience of many systems engineering methods such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
- Develop an understanding of a missile weapon system; from the warhead to the seeker
- Grow in responsibility for delivering critical items of work, use knowledge and influence to guide design decisions.
- Liaise with external stakeholders, subcontractors and government customers
- Work in a team responsible for completing multi-million pound weapons installations
What’s great about joining this team?
- The SD&V team have experts in varied skills and backgrounds that you will be supported by and learn from.
- Scope to choose where you go based on interests and skills
- Close working with other functions such as Weapons Architecture, Seekers, Lethality & Warheads, Software, Procurement, and Simulation & Modelling giving you a broad view of the company.
- Training in Missile Systems and Subsystems to develop a deeper understanding of the products.
- Role specific training; DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
“I didn’t fully appreciate until joining how varied the work would be – you could be writing test plans, developing/testing demo equipment for stakeholders, writing specifications, trajectory modelling and calculations etc. Particularly because I have a physics background, I had no real appreciation of what Systems Engineering could involve. The variety is difficult to get across in a role profile but it’s vast and appeals to me and probably a lot of other people too.” Izzi, Systems Design Engineer Graduate
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Currently studying towards a Degree in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or similar.
- The ability to work with complex problems to derive logical solutions to inform design decisions
- Strong attention to detail - the specifications define the Missile to be built, your input will impact the performance of the final product attention to detail is vital.
What would you get?
- £18,000 Salary pro-rated over the 10 months
- Flexible working hours
- Paid overtime
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- Sporting activities
- Paid holiday
- Fantastic site facilities
- A share of the annual Company Bonus
- On the job learning and development opportunities.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!