Who are McDonald’s?
At McDonald’s, we’re proud of the way we’re creating an experience to remember; reaching customers wherever they are and innovating new tastes and choices, while staying true to customer favourites.
As the largest family restaurant in the world, we serve approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day; in more than 100 countries.
The UK market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business having achieved 51 consecutive quarters of growth and serving on average 3.8 million people a day. We have operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with over 1,270 restaurants and more than 120,000 employees.
McDonald’s vision is to be the UK and Ireland’s best-loved restaurant company. As such, we invest in what matters most to our people and customers. Running great restaurants is the foundation of our growth plan, with people at the heart of all we do.
We are also committed to innovation; exciting new food, contemporary interiors, delivery, mobile ordering and table service (to name but a few) – ensure that there's a time and a place for McDonald's, for everyone.
Much of our success can be attributed to the “three-legged stool” whereby our franchisees, suppliers and company employees (each one leg of the stool) all contribute to our overarching strategy – ‘’Road to Best Loved’’. This collaborative approach in making system wide decisions for the business is symbolic of our inclusive culture and testament to the value we place in each other.
Also ingrained in our culture is our commitment to “Good Food, Good People, Good Neighbour”. We buy ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spend over £1billion annually in the UK food and agricultural sector. We invest over £40 million per year in developing people, giving every one of our employees the opportunity to take part in structured training. And, we get involved in our local communities with initiatives like; ‘’Love where you Live’’, grass roots football and Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC).
Together we’re providing our customers with better experiences than ever before and they are rewarding us with more visits, increased trust and brand loyalty. As a market leader in our field, with bold plans and an insatiable desire to strengthen affinity with our customers, there has never been a more exciting time to work for McDonald’s!
What is the purpose of this role?
To assist our construction team in the procurement and delivery of new build, refurbishment and major maintenance projects across the UK estate.
Duties will include the project management of construction schemes from conception through to completion.
The post will assist in delivering the company expansion being driven by a number of new restaurant openings.
What team will I be part of?
The Construction Department is responsible for the development of new restaurants and the refurbishment of existing leasehold and freehold properties on both company owned and franchised restaurants.
The property portfolio consists of both modular and traditionally constructed drive through and high street restaurants.
The department is seeking to construct and open 200 New restaurants within the next 3 years, whilst continuing to refurbish its existing property estate.
Who will my customers be?
The post requires close liaison with Developers on behalf of McDonald’s to negotiate specifications and scope of works.
Liaison with McDonald’s consultant teams will be required to ensure compliance with all statutory undertakings including planning and building control approval.
Coordinate design teams and retain communication with Quantity Surveyors to agree project costs and report accordingly.
Maintain communication with stakeholders throughout the project process and liaising with both internal and external public bodies to obtain appropriate consents.
What will my key accountabilities be?
- Support the Project Management team with the delivery of capital investment projects and new build restaurants.
- Inspect and evaluate potential development sites, gather and assess information on factors likely to affect development or reinvestment.
- Assist the Project Management team with the coordination and supervision with all aspects of the detailed design.
- Assist with monitoring and communicating project programmes to ensure delivery.
- Support Project Manager with project procurement and ordering.
- Assist the Project Management team to obtain financial approval on project expenditure.
- Monitor and report any variance to project expenditure.
- Assist the Project Management team with supervision of construction projects.
- Assist with monitoring contractor performance.
- Monitor and assist with completion of project appointments and documentation.
- Support Project Managers in undertaking site inspections, site meetings and defect identification inspections.
- Support the engagement of Principal Designers to ensure compliance with CDM Regulations.
- To assist with ensuring compliance with McDonald’s standards policies and specifications
Our Culture and Your Background
What background do I need to have?
- Self-motivated, with good personal management skills.
- Able to motivate others using a range of leadership skills.
- An understanding of ‘fast track’ construction of new build and refurbishment project procurement would be advantageous.
- A good communicator, the individual would be proficient in both written and verbal communication to ensure stakeholders are fully engaged and informed on project status.
- The nature of the role requires the post holder to be physically able to undertake detailed building inspection.
- Seeking to gain a professional qualification (CIOB /RICS).
- IT literate, with a full working knowledge of email, Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Capable of analysing and interpreting information and data.
- Educated to degree level in either Building Surveying or Construction Management.
- A full clean driving license would be required for the post, as travel throughout the UK would be required.
What are McDonald’s Cultural Pillars?
Customer Obsessed: Proud to exceed the customer’s expectations at every visit through great food and great hospitality:
- Every visit, every day, our customers always come first
- By delivering an outstanding, welcoming hospitality experience, we create delicious feel-good moments for customers
- We listen, we respond, we care
Better Together: Proud of the way we work together to make a difference to our business, our people, our communities and the planet:
- Our employees are valued and empowered
- We leverage the power of the system – licensees, suppliers and employees
- We unleash the power of our diversity
- We win together
Committed To Lead: Proud to be a leading, world-class organisation
- We never settle – we’re never done
- We prioritise our commitments to focus on growth
- We commit to being the best and to making a positive difference by using our scale for good
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!