£20,000 - £25,000
What you’ll get?
Salaries for our industrial placements start from £22,000. You'll also get lots of other benefits like product and service discounts and generous time off.
What you’ll do
As an Undergraduate on a 12 month placement with us you will be involved in the design, develop and test complex mechanical systems and turn ideas into products. You’ll learn how to generate concept ideas and turn them into viable solutions, gaining experience of 3D modelling and analysis tools that will help you factor in considerations including materials, manufacture, assembly, cost and performance.
You’ll be involved in the design, development and testing of the complex mechanical systems. In the early stages of a project, you’ll apply scientific principles and technical information to generate concept ideas. After this you will select the most suitable design and turn it into a viable solution.
Through 3D modelling and a range of analysis tools, you’ll create a detailed design of the product that factors into considerations such as materials, manufacture, assembly, cost and performance to name just a few. Our military and commercial programmes require us to push our capabilities and technologies to the limit of what is achievable today. This raises many innovations for the system as it must ultimately meet our customers’ stringent safety requirements and bring leading edge performance to give substantial advantage wherever applied.
We also provide the opportunity to get involved in projects outside of your primary remit. We encourage you to seek a stretch project in which you’ll gain different experiences. With our huge portfolio of products and our multinational presence, there are opportunities to get involved in something different around every corner. Additionally, we encourage involvement in community projects, STEM initiatives and support groups (called employee resource groups) which all provide valuable learning and development experiences that you may not have access to in your day-to-day role. To ensure we retain our talented people, we offer a blend of sponsorship, additional support in career development planning and a portfolio of high potential development programmes. We are also fully committed to supporting graduates to work towards professional registration and Chartership with a range of professional institutes (e.g. the IET and IMechE). Our graduate scheme is accredited with a number of different professional institutes, which means that we have demonstrated high standards of delivery and support.
Our mission is to build a strong, diverse, adaptable, and high performing work force that will develop and grow our future business. We believe that everyone has talent, and at the heart of our talent management approach our ambition is to be recognised as the UK’s top employer in the defence and security sector for valuing diversity and inclusion. Accelerated development will be offered to those who have the aspiration, ability, and performance to fulfil roles that are critical to our future success. Using The Future Talent Programme, we select high potential graduates and provide them with further tailored development opportunities.
Specific activities could include:
- Supporting the development of strategies to ensure that systems are designed and integrated so that they fully satisfy the customer and business needs/requirements
- Capturing and analysing requirements in order to understand the customer/business needs and the context in which the system will be used
- Supporting the design and optimisation of system architectures and solutions using system modelling techniques
- Facilitating successful integration of systems and sub-systems
- Identifying and managing interfaces and dependencies
- Identifying and mitigating failure modes
- Understanding the emergent properties of a system to support trade-offs, optimisation, risk reduction and testing
- Defining the verification and validation approach in order to achieve certification and acceptance of the system
- Supporting the identification of safety hazards and the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Providing systems engineering support to project and functional teams
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering systems engineering tasks to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that information can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all work in accordance with relevant extant procedures
- Liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required
- Liaise with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Continually develop your systems capabilities to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with best practice
- Articulate and present arguments clearly, logically and simply
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to create next-generation security products and technology.
- An immersive induction experience which will prepare you for entering your real-world role.
- Access to established graduate and undergraduate communities. You’ll also have a dedicated graduate buddy and manager to support you during the whole placement.
- Throughout your placement, you’ll receive performance and development feedback and have the opportunity to access a range of development courses through our online learning platforms.
- A conditional offer to join us as on a graduate programme without the need to reapply, subject to performance and availability.
Our one-year programme will give you the chance to get hands-on industry experience and a deep insight into life at BAE Systems.
£20,000 - £25,000