The Mechanical Engineering department develops physical solutions from concept through to production on missiles and weapon systems. The nature of complex weapons and the environments they operate in present an extensive scope of unique and interesting mechanical engineering challenges.
What’s the opportunity?
You'll get hands-on work experience from all placements - interaction with hardware is highly encouraged to help further understanding of our products. This could mean use of rapid prototyping facilities, getting involved in external manufacture or participating in assembly builds and laboratory tests. You'll learn from our engineer’s knowledge in complex weapons and Defence technology across all departments
You could experience placements in some of the following areas:
- Mechanical Design – Be involved in all stages of design from concept development through to manufacture. This role relies on CAD tools and gives opportunity to be involved in laboratory test programs
- Mechanical Future Concepts – Positioned at the cutting-edge of missile technology, gain experience in the early stages of the product lifecycle from concept generation to research & development (R&D) studies.
- Mechanical Analysis – Develop specialist technical solutions to aid the design process. With Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools and laboratory testing, conduct detailed stress and thermal analysis on structures and mechanical systems.
- Actuation Systems – Working within a multi-disciplinary team on the electro-mechanical design of fin, wing and seeker actuation systems. The role is broadly similar to the Mechanical Design placement with the added possibility of working in a cross-discipline, international team.
- Materials and Processes- Advise design teams in the principles of materials science, and evaluate their ideas against material compatibility; this offers the chance to get involved in top-tier research of novel materials as well as practical lab based assessments.
What are we looking for?
Currently studying towards a Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or Control Systems Engineering.
What's in it for you?
You'll no doubt have seen all the information on our website about our comprehensive and customisable benefits package (please note not all benefits are available to summer placement students)
What are we looking for?
Currently studying anaeronautical, mechanical, physics, mathsor other related subject.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
All graduates, undergraduates and apprentices at MBDA are required to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to their respective role. Some roles, may be reserved for UK nationals and certain categories of information may be restricted to UK nationals also. To gain suitable clearance individuals will need to have lived in UK for up to 5 years dependent on the level of clearance required.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) #LI-DNI
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!