Our Industrial Placement scheme offers undergraduates the opportunity to gain valuable experience working alongside some of the UK’s most talented and enthusiastic professionals.
Why should I choose the Met Office?:
As an Industrial Placement at the Met Office, you will be paid £17,000 pa and have the opportunity to spend 12 months (between July 2020 - July 2021) working with a team either covering cyber security, application development, infrastructure or IT planning whilst developing your skills and putting what you have learnt into practice.
You will be joining other placements on this scheme and past cohorts have supported each other with projects, set up lunch groups and socials.
The Technology Industrial Placement scheme is an exciting opportunity to see first-hand what we do as well as make a real impact that the Met Office truly values. How do we show this? Well, there is the potential to return to us on our Technology Graduate Scheme after obtaining your degree!
Tell me a little more about what you do….:
Through world-leading science and cutting-edge technology, we work together to question the ordinary every day because we believe in the best. Working with global partners, our IT projects reach as far as Space. Around the clock, around the world, people need to know more about how the weather and climate will affect them now and in the future. Without technology, the Met Office would not be where it is today. Technology is key to every area of our work – from science and forecasting to marketing and consultancy. We are constantly pushing ourselves to stay ahead of the game, exploiting technology to help people stay safe and thrive.
Can I apply?:
To become a Technology Industrial Placement at the Met Office you will need to be someone who:
- Is studying for an undergraduate degree with a significant numeracy, science and/or IT element which MUST incorporate a placement year (i.e. sandwich course).
- Possesses knowledge of at least one programming language or equivalent infrastructure experience e.g. hardware maintenance or networking
- Has a keen interest in IT and keeps up to date with current and future IT developments
- Has effective analytical and problem-solving skills
- Can plan and organise work using their own initiative
- Demonstrates evidence of good oral and written communication skills
Desirably, you would be someone who can also demonstrate:
- An appreciation of customer needs and the importance of good customer service
- A proven ability to work well as a member of a team
- Practical knowledge or experience of IT
How do I apply?:
If you think this role sounds perfect for you and you meet the above requirements then please follow these three simple steps….
- Take a look at the prospectus (on the advert found on the Met Office vacancies page) which provides more information of what to expect and what we are looking for
- Click on the link below to apply directly on our website
- Fill out the online application and give as much evidence as possible against the skills required
When will I hear if I have been shortlisted?:
We will be accepting applications until Sunday 8th March. During this time, we may get in touch if you are unfortunately not eligible or we have spotted something missing from your application. Otherwise, you can expect to hear from us before the 31st March once the hiring manager has reviewed all the applications received. We often receive a high number of applications so it can take a little while to look at each one but we always let people know the outcome.
The next stage is a face to face interview at our headquarters in Exeter and that’s it!
For operational reasons this post will be based in Exeter.
This full-time recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, with an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality and an LGBTi network.
If you return to us as a Technology Graduate Trainee in the future, you may be eligible for some assistance with relocation.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!