We are a software company with a difference
If you enjoy devising creative solutions to difficult problems, and want to experience the buzz of working at the forefront of new markets and technologies, then apply to take part in one of our internships.
Join us and you’ll see the effects of your work in how the whole world communicates – with the added bonus of dramatically increasing your marketability to future employers.
Our package highlights:
- Challenging work with leading-edge technology.
- Opportunities lasting from eight weeks up to a year - depending on your availability.
- One of only a few companies to offer internships prior to university and to all undergraduates, including first year students.
- No prior experience is necessary.
- We offer a one-stage interview process and a decision within three working days.
- We recruit all year round, but recommend that you apply in the autumn for a summer placement.
- We offer £1,200 per month to pre-university students, and £1,500 per month to undergraduates. If you are returning for a subsequent summer with Metaswitch we will offer you £1,600 per month.
- We offer subsidised accommodation at our Enfield location (which has easy access to central London) as well as in our Edinburgh, Chester, Coventry and Cambridge offices.
Most interns will work in software engineering roles.
Software engineering is an exceptionally creative discipline. We are living in a world where people expect more and more from their communications products and network services. As a direct result, network service providers stand at the doorstep of a radical transformation in the way they build and operate communications services. They need your help to move their core network elements off proprietary hardware into a cloud-based, software-centric future. Inspired software engineering affects how these services perform – and how they are experienced by end-users.
What to expect from your internship
Don't think you'll be making tea all day! Your internship will be spent working with some of the smartest engineers around to build and develop flexible and scalable software architectures - the enduring structures that make complex services possible within and between communications networks. With our support you will learn new software languages and programming techniques, enabling you to solve some of the most complex problems the software industry faces.
From day one, you'll work on challenging programming assignments within a team of creative and hard-working professionals. Just as with our new graduate starters, you will be assigned a mentor and a manager, who will give you a high level of support and expert guidance throughout your entire time with us. We have a proven track record of turning bright students, without any prior experience, into productive engineers who go on to make a real and significant contribution to our projects.
Don't forget our hackathons...
In addition, we give all of our interns the opportunity to participate in a special summer Metaswitch organised ‘Vacathon’ with the rest of the interns from across our engineering spectrum. This great event gives everybody a chance to swap ideas and show off the skills they have learnt over their summer with us. As well as ensuring that your creative and problem-solving skills have a chance to shine – and win prizes!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!