What will you be getting up to?
Our Water Assessment and Management teams are at the forefront of major water management techniques such as hydraulic, groundwater and water quality modelling, sustainable flow evaluation, flood risk assessment and ecological risk assessment. We currently have three different exciting opportunities to join these cutting-edge teams.
Water Resources - Water management is a critical component in most of our projects, with an increasing demand for our expertise due to increasing pressures on freshwater resources as a result of climate change, over-consumption and population growth. Our experts have experience completing hydrological and hydrogeological analysis into a range of different infrastructure and environmental management projects. Working on small and mega projects our team has informed drought management strategies, created catchment management plans, quantified water resources for a range of different infrastructure projects, developed monitoring programmes and used software to model complex systems. We work in many sectors, supporting different teams and working independently to deliver projects.
Rivers & Flooding - Flooding can be from all sources: rivers, sea, surface water, reservoirs, ground water and sewers. Managing flood risk is a primary consideration for developments in all sectors. Effective flood management requires a catchment wide, joined up and integrated approach to develop sustainable solutions for future flood scenarios. With climate change causing more frequent and intense storms, flood risk management is only going to become more challenging. When managing flooding we need to understand the impact our designs have on river, estuarial and coastal geomorphology and their ecosystems.
Additionally, flooding very often causes water quality problems, for example, CSO spills and effluent discharges from waste water treatment plants during storm conditions. There can also be increased pollution loading from diffused sources due to intensive rainfall. The practice is related to addressing these challenges. In encompasses all aspects of river engineering and flood management.
Where you’ll be based
We have opportunities in Cambridge, Leeds, Glasgow & Edinburgh.
We are looking for flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for Water, and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
When you apply you will be asked to choose which sectors you are applying for; your sector choices should reflect where you are passionate about starting your future career. You should be able to demonstrate your interest in your chosen sector through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
To apply for this scheme, you must have a strong interest and commitment to developing your career within water resources, and you will have less than 12 months experience and have achieved a 2.1 degree, as well as a postgraduate qualification in:
- Water resources, or related degree
- Maths, statistics or related
- Climate change
- Environmental Science
- Civil Engineering
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
- It would be advantageous if you have previous experience of using water modelling software packages such as ISIS, MIKE, TUFLOW or Info-works.
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
- Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how to help.
- we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
** Application deadline is the 10 November 2019 **
About this scheme - is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with this programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll also support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a three-year programme which develops your strengths, it also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars and business challenges.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in. From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other graduates at the graduate weekend residential course or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day.
Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.
It doesn’t stop there. As well as events, you’ll also have access to discounts on cinema tickets, travel, fashion, utilities and much more as part of our company benefits which you can take advantage of the moment you join.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!