Our industrial placements are for a period of six to 12 months, during which, you will have the opportunity to work within one of our sectors.
We have placements still available in the following areas:
- Civil or Structural Engineering: Now more than ever, our environment and communities need to be made more resilient in the face of climate change. Working on every facet of development, our civil engineers aim to solve this by offering the opportunity to create better cities, reduce poverty and improve health. Together with our experts, you’ll play a part in safeguarding natural resources. Using sustainability as a focus, you’ll be creating economic and social growth for generations to come. We have opportunities in the following sectors: Building Structures, Bridges, Geotechnical, Light Rail Transit, Infrastructure, Metros, Rail, Power, Special Services, Transport, Transmission & Distribution, Tunnels and Water. We have opportunities in the following locations: Brighton, Birmingham, Bristol, Croydon, Cardiff, Cambridge, Exeter, Leeds, Reading & Sheffield
- Electrical Engineering: Our electrical engineers work in world class teams to design and deliver sustainable solutions. The Croydon team is focused on Rail and our Edinburgh team is focused on Water Treatment. The Brighton team is focused on Transmission and Distribution within our Energy business unit. We have opportunities in the following locations: Brighton, Croydon & Edinburgh
- Mechanical Engineering: We have opportunities in our water and water treatment team, with specialists that have been involved in projects such as the Scottish Water development programme. Water is an essential part of our everyday lives; therefore, our teams are responsible for water pumping solutions, clean and wastewater treatment plants, and pipelines. We have opportunities in the following location: Edinburgh.
- Environmental; Within our environmental transport team you will work alongside our environmental consultants in a number of different roles, gaining experience across a variety of disciplines, including environmental impact assessment, environmental management, ecology, acoustics and landscape architecture and GIS. You will have the chance to be involved in the planning stages of developments, including major infrastructure projects such as roads and rail, and carry out environmental surveys and assessment work, making use of and expanding your expertise. Typical degrees include Geography, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environment and Sustainability. We have opportunities in the following locations: Cardiff, Cambridge & Southampton
- Project Management: You’ll be part of a team that controls every aspect of the project life-cycle – from concept and definition to implementation and handover. Our project managers provide consultancy services to our clients throughout the development and construction process. We have opportunities in the following location: Cambridge
- Chemical/Process Engineering: Our process engineering expertise provides a core discipline for much of our work, allowing our experts to develop appropriate, safe, and cost-effective designs and long-term solutions for our clients, allowing our experts to develop appropriate, safe, and cost-effective designs and long-term sustainable solutions for many different types of projects. Our specialist chemical engineering teams have renowned expertise in our Railways division and clean and wastewater treatment design and assessment. We have opportunities in the following location: Croydon & Glasgow
To join us for an industrial trainee placement you must currently be at University or looking for a pre-university placement.
You’ll be working with graduates, experienced professionals, and other students so a placement with us is the perfect opportunity to learn from a variety of people while understanding our values and culture. It’s also a great chance to get involved with real projects while gaining relevant experience.
We do not have a formal structure for our placements, so you can really make the role your own. The more you get involved and the more questions you ask, the more you will gain from your experience with us.
As well as having one of the specific degrees listed above, we are looking for students with the following characteristics:
- A methodical approach to problem solving
- The ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail with the ability to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture. Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us and we will talk to you about how to help.
We support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We’re looking for highly motivated students who are passionate about learning from our industry experts. You’ll be given the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working on some of the exciting projects that are helping to shape tomorrow’s world.
We understand that to put your learning into practice it’s important that you’re given an accurate insight in to our innovative industry. With enough work placement experience under your belt you can get just that. Think of it as a worthwhile investment towards your future career.
We place a lot of emphasis on giving you a realistic view of our world, so you can decide if it’s the industry you want to work in.
Many of the employees that we recruit for our graduate schemes are students that have made an impression during their placements with us, so remember, this could be the start of a promising career for you with Mott MacDonald.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- We offer our students a competitive salary - we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs during the year you are with us.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in.
From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other placement students and graduates or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day. Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.
It doesn’t stop there. As well as events, you’ll also have access to discounts on cinema tickets, travel, fashion, utilities and much more as part of our company benefits which you can take advantage of the moment you join.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!