What Will You Be Doing
- The daily activities of the role involve working within a small team of fellow interns and lab administrators to enable the efficient running of the CX Labs networking lab in Reading. You will work on the following, but won't be limited to;
- Establishing and maintaining a close relationship with CX Labs' primary customer in the UK - Solution Validation Services (SVS).
- Racking & stacking new equipment.
- Cabling network topologies for SVS engineers.
- Installing / Upgrading software across a variety of Cisco hardware platforms.
- Installing various Virtual Machines & operating systems for testbed usage.
- Taking requirements from SVS engineers and using knowledge of the lab to bring them to reality.
- Working closely with SVS engineers to ensure the successful delivery of SVS projects.
- Working on lab initiatives in order to optimise and automate day to day operations.
What you will gain / what we can offer you:
- A year of experience with the world's largest Networking company.
- We will support you in gaining your CCNA & CCNP certifications by the end of the internship.
- You will develop knowledge about a massive range of Cisco products.
- Give you the chance to work with the top engineers who are specialists in their fields.
- Provide you the opportunity for you to take any equipment not in use in the lab and build whatever you like.
- Assign you to projects where you will learn various troubleshooting skills.
- Give you access to the vast resources of Cisco to help enable your learning.
- A very competitive salary
What Are We Looking For?
- We are looking for someone that can demonstrate the following;
- Currently enrolled at University as an undergraduate
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK
- Be willing to relocate to Reading, UK
- The ability to be given a task and be able to research and deliver what is required
- Demonstrate a keen interest in the following technologies:
- Networking - (Routing & Switching)
- Automation / Programming - (Python, Bash, PHP etc)
- Linux / Windows Operating Systems
- Virtualisation Technologies - VMware
- (Experience is only required for Networking - all other areas are useful but not essential)
Some background insights about the hiring team:
CX Labs is a global organisation within Cisco dedicated to providing lab solutions to various customers within Cisco Customer Experience (CX). This includes all areas of the services organisation. The UK lab is primarily an SVS delivery center and we work almost exclusively with SVS to provide their lab requirements.
Within this team we currently have;
- More than 400 racks.
- Networking equipment ranging from Catalyst 2950 switches to ASR9922 core routers.
- Over 8000 pieces of hardware valued at more than $500m.
- ~20 SVS Consulting Engineers locally at Reading.
- A close working relationship with other SVS teams based in Israel, Bangalore and the US.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company.
We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.