Nomura is an Asia-headquartered financial services group with an integrated global network spanning over 30 countries. By ‘Connecting Markets East & West’, Nomura services the needs of individuals, institutions, corporates and governments through its three business divisions: Retail, Asset Management, and Wholesale (Global Markets and Investment Banking). Founded in 1925, the firm is built on a tradition of disciplined entrepreneurship, serving clients with creative solutions and considered thought leadership.
Investment Banking overview
Nomura’s Investment Banking Division provides advisory and capital-raising solutions to corporations, financial institutions, governments and public-sector organizations around the world. Our global teams act as geographic, industry and product specialists (Client Financing & Solutions). We connect clients directly to Asia, accessing deep pools of liquidity and dynamic growth markets. In EMEA, we operate across targeted industry sectors and in most major European countries to deliver strategic advice to clients wishing to acquire, combine or sell businesses or looking for financing and risk management solutions.
Through our nine-week Internship Programme you will experience real insight into the banking business. It is your chance to get a feel for our culture, gain valuable on-the-job training and create new networks. An internship is also the perfect introduction to a subsequent full time role. At the end of the internship, strong performers will receive offers to join our Graduate Programme.
During week one, class-room training is provided to enhance the key technical skills to enable you to perform well during the internship. Additional sessions include product presentations, business overviews as well as social events.
After the training week, Investment Banking summer interns will be placed in one of our Sector Teams.
Nomura’s sector teams identify and analyse deal opportunities and manage client relationships across sectors and key geographies teams to include the following:
- Consumer – Provides advisory and financing services to a wide range of consumer facing businesses. Established base of both global mega-caps and smaller but ambitious corporate clients
- Equity Advisory – Nomura is the only global investment bank providing independent equity advisory services. We provide clients with advisory and support in executing equity-related transactions including IPO’s, Rights Issues, Accelerated Bookbuildings, Private Placements and Equity-Linked Products
- Financial Institutions Group – Focus on coverage and execution for a wide range of clients across the UK, France/Benelux, Iberia, Italy, and Greece. Our clients span traditional FIG institutions like banks and insurers, and wealth/asset managers, trust/corporate services and other diversified financials
- Financial Sponsors – Focusing on covering Financial Sponsor and Alternative Investment clients, including a broad range of Private Equity funds, Sovereign Wealth funds and Pension funds
- Healthcare – Growing team with in depth industry expertise built through advising both Corporate and Financial Sponsor clients on acquisitions shaping the industry. In addition to M&A, the team has a track record of providing Leveraged Finance and Risk Solutions within a broad range of subsectors, including specialty pharma, biotechnology, medical technology, animal health and healthcare services
- Industrials – Provides advisory and financing services to clients across a wide range of industrial sectors including diversified industrials, automotive, paper and packaging, transport and logistics, and business services
- M&A – Focusing on the origination and execution of domestic EMEA and cross-border transactions, with exposure to all industry and product teams
- Natural Resources – A cornerstone team in the EMEA IBD providing advisory and financing solutions across four sub-verticals including Power & Utilities, Infrastructure, Chemicals and Oil & Gas. A well-established franchise highly regarded in the industry with a track record of originating and executing high profile transactions
- Nordic – Focuses on providing advisory services to, and maintaining relationships with, key Nordic corporates, financial sponsors and various Government ministries. In addition, the Nordic team works closely with Nomura’s industry and products teams on leverage finance and Risk Management Solutions
- Telecoms, Media & Technology – Provides advisory and financing services to Corporate and Financial Sponsor clients across a wide range sub verticals within the Telecom, Media and Technology industries
- UK – Provides UK-focused clients with holistic corporate finance advice, across all key sectors and investment banking products
What are we looking for?
At Nomura our goal is to attract and develop exceptionally talented people who share our passion for individual excellence and our commitment to teamwork. We recruit students with a high level of academic and extra-curricular achievement, who will be able to withstand the rigours of a rapidly changing, demanding but ultimately rewarding environment.
To apply to this position, you should be in your final or penultimate year at university and on track to achieve a 2:1 or equivalent
Fluency in English is essential.
How to apply
Please note that you can only submit one application per recruitment year (Sep 2020 – August 2021) and that all applications must be submitted online.
To apply for a 2021 summer internship position, candidates should be available for full time employment in July 2021 or 2022. We accept applications for this programme from penultimate year students (Graduating 2022) and final year students graduating 2021
Application deadline: 1st December 2020
We recruit on a rolling basis and encourage applicants to apply early.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!