Get your career in the nuclear Industry off to a flying start!
As a nucleargraduate you will have a graduate programme bespoke to you, no two nucleargraduates’ journeys are the same. This is a unique opportunity to experience the different aspects of our complex, ever-changing industry. You will be sponsored by the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) or Rolls-Royce submarines, whom you will join upon completion of your two-year programme to start a substantive role and continue with your professional development.
The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), based in Bootle, Merseyside, is responsible for regulation of nuclear safety and security across the UK, to protect society by securing safe nuclear operations.
Rolls-Royce, based in Derby, East Midlands are at the forefront of nuclear technology, a world-leader in nuclear submarine systems and support services incorporating design, procurement and operation, they are responsible for powering the whole of the UK’s Royal Navy nuclear submarine fleet.
As a mechanical engineer on the nucleargraduates programme you can expect to find yourself working on new nuclear reactor design, supporting the operation of a power-generating nuclear power station or nuclear powered submarine, testing and quality of systems and components used in plant operations ensuring equipment always remains safe. You may gain experience in model-based systems engineering. With the ONR you may work on the safety assessment and inspection of the design, installation, commissioning, maintenance and operation of systems and components of plants on the UK’s nuclear licensed sites. You will be given real responsibility and meaningful work experience.
A graduate development programme like no other you will complete;
Three secondments with up to three different organisations (with the possibility of an international secondment).
‘Core training’ – training modules completed with your fellow graduates in Project Management, Commercial Awareness, Influencing & Negotiating, Risk Management, Business Skills and Leadership.
Technical and behavioural training, structured against the needs of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) or any other institute with whom you will be working to gain chartered status.
Our Footprints corporate social responsibility programme will account for 10% of your time as a nucleargraduate. You will have the opportunity to become a STEM ambassador, passing on your knowledge and enthusiasm to the next generation of engineers and scientists. You will establish a start-up company, developing your commercial awareness and growing your appreciation of the challenges faced by a small business whilst donating profits to your chosen charity.
To support you with the above we will provide;
- A dedicated mentor, assigned to you upon starting the programme who will stay with through to achievement of chartership with your chosen institute.
- An individual training budget (£3,500) for training, resources and conferences specific to your personal development.
- Membership of two institutes.
- An individual travel & subsistence budget (£5,500) to allow you to move between secondments and fulfil your training commitments.
- A starting salary of £26,000 rising to £27,000 in the second year with a golden hello payment of £1,000 paid in your first week on the programme.
- 6 days discretionary leave for study and relocation in addition to your 25 days annual leave
- A dedicated programme team, all Mental Health First Aiders, to provide professional and pastoral support, a sponsor company lead and a buddy, a graduate from the year above you.
As a nucleargraduate you will join a diverse, inter-disciplinary group of graduates who will collaborate with and support one-another. Your fellow graduates will always be there, and the bonds you form in that group will be some of the strongest you have ever made, you will make friends for life. Why? Because only other nucleargraduates will understand what it’s like to be a pioneer – changing the face of our industry forever.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!