Fast-track your way to becoming one of our future business leaders with the Operations Management Graduate Scheme.
Consisting of at least two rotations at one of our 18 UK-wide operational depots, this scheme provides you with first-hand experience of leading people and exposure to the key operational areas within our business – all with the overall aim of developing your management capabilities. Here’s what you can expect to be doing as a Graduate at Gist…
- You’ll join us as a Team Manager, taking responsibility for managing a shift and a team of up to 30 people in our Warehouses and Transport teams
- The environment is fast-paced and not your normal 9-5 and you will experience a full 24 hour operational cycle. You will be required to work shifts, nights and weekends in order to ensure that our operation continues to deliver for our customer. You could be in our fridges at 2am on a Saturday night ensuring that our customers are getting their product or liaising with our drivers to make sure the lorries are meeting deadlines and have agreed routes around the UK that will reach our customers, in good time
- Your development will continue throughout your placements, where you will take on additional senior site management responsibilities and also have the opportunity to hone your people management skills, as well as to further develop your commercial and operational acumen
- During the course of the scheme, you will have the opportunity to move into Business Solutions, Network Planning Centre and Global Freight or to remain within the operation and progress your management skillset.
How will you become one of our future business leaders?
With over one fifth of our senior management team coming from our graduate scheme, our schemes have been setting graduates up for success for a number of years.
Throughout your time with us you will receive training and development programmes that are designed to equip you with the knowledge, best practice, skills and techniques to set you up for success. This will be delivered in conjunction with your regular progress meetings to ensure you are working towards a career plan that meets your needs and aspirations.
From day one you will:
- Gain real management responsibility, rapid progression, industry leading training and coaching
- You will receive structured on-site and central training in people management and best operational practice, as well as regular performance reviews to ensure you are receiving the right support and opportunities
- You will be allocated a mentor who will be a senior manager in our business and will be there to offer support and guidance on your career within Gist
What you need
We’re looking for driven graduates who thrive in fast-paced and challenging environments, to become our future leaders. If you fit the following criteria, you’re perfect for this scheme:
- Due to the nature of our scheme you must be flexible with your location of employment for the duration of the scheme, as you could be based in any one of our numerous UK sites for each of your placements
- You are a credible, engaging and a driven natural leader who is able to take a team on a journey with a shared goal
- You proactively look to transform, adapt and improve things around you. You want to exceed expectations
- Change isn’t a scary word for you. You thrive on new challenges, new people and pick things up quickly and effectively
- People are your focus and you roll your sleeves up when a team needs to come together
- You hold a full UK driving license by the start date of the scheme
What's in it for you?
- Starting salary of £26,500 (increasing to £30,000 in year 2)
- We know that moving can be worrying and stressful – we give you time to find the right place and will support you with this move
- Whether it’s personal or professional, the Employee Assistance Helpline offers counselling, financial and legal advice as well as an online health portal
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary performance-related bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- My Benefits – offering great discounts across retail and leisure outlets
Ready to apply?
We are keen to ensure our selection process gives you a clear insight into our business, and most importantly offers you a good understanding of what life is like on the Graduate Scheme at Gist.
1. Head to www.gistworld.com/careers and complete our online application form
2. If successful you will then complete a 20 minute video interview where we will get to know you, understand why you’re interested in Gist and hear about why you’d be a great fit for us
3. Following a successful video interview, we will invite you to one of our virtual insight days where you will get the opportunity to learn more about Gist, meet our people and complete some interactive assessments
4. If we think you show potential, you will be invited to our final stage assessment centre at one of our depots. Throughout this day, you’ll show us why you should be on one of our schemes
Please be aware that in order to be successful you need to be available for one of the virtual insight days (taking place in November, January and February) and one of our assessment centres on-site (taking place in November, February and March) and be able to start the role in September 2022.