We’re an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster. With a global network of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients, we’ll offer you unrivalled opportunities for growth and the freedom to excel. Combining strategies, technologies and innovation, we create opportunity from complexity and deliver enduring results, enabling you to build a lasting career. Isn’t it time you joined us?
Become part of the team
PA is unique among management consultancies in offering clients the opportunity to integrate new products and technology with wider business solutions. Our Mechanical Engineering team innovates at the intersection of science, technology and market needs. We pride ourselves on developing innovative solutions to hard problems. Over 10 weeks, you'll play a key role in our business by developing new ideas with potential commercial applications. Collaborating with other engineering Interns on a cross-disciplinary project, you'll work towards delivering a prototype product. This might be a medical device, a new consumer product or a device relating to 'the internet of things'. Your work may be used as a talking point with clients and even developed into a live product. We want to give you a real insight into what technology consulting is all about. So rather than simply shadowing more experienced engineers, you'll work on developing a real prototype product. Supported by an experienced project manager, you'll collaborate with other Interns who might be studying electronic engineering, software engineering, mechanical engineering or science. We'll also provide tailor-made training in ‘soft skills’ such as presentation skills, information organisation and communication.
What we're looking for
- You'll be on track for a 1st or 2:1 degree in Mechanical Engineering, Automation, Mechatronics or equivalent.
- Experience of 3D CAD and FEA,
- Good understanding of mechanical design including design techniques, material selection, tolerances, controls, mechanisms, engineering mathematics and concept generation
- Interest in the commercial exploitation of technology In addition, the following are desirable but not essential:
- Knowledge of control systems, servo loops, sensors, actuators and motors
- Coding experience
- Basic knowledge of EU safety regulations related to machines
- Understanding of project risk management
This role is open to undergraduates in their penultimate year of university. If you intend to return to university after the internship to complete an MSc, you will also be eligible for this position. The start date for this role will be in July 2020. As part of our application process you will be required to answer three video questions.
- You’ll be based in our global technology innovation hub
- Access to an on-site canteen
- Extensive learning & development opportunities
- Exposure to a global network of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status. We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!