Exciting minds with our Future Leaders Graduate Programme – Research and Development (Consumer Healthcare)
Education required: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a scientific discipline (i.e.: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biology, Biomedical Science/Biomedicine, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Genetics, Immunology, Life Sciences, Medicine, Medical Devices, Medicine Chemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Oncology, Optogenetics, Optometry, Pharmacogenomics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Physiology, Psychology, Veterinary Science, Packing Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering) by Spring 2021.
Start date: September 2021
- Willing to move between sites and relocate domestically
Want to solve some of the world’s biggest health challenges?
With over 300 years of innovation, we’re a science-led global healthcare company that delivers billions of innovative products each year. Join us and help millions of people do more, feel better, live longer.
We’re looking for Future Leaders in Research and Development (Consumer Healthcare)
Are you an analytical graduate who wants a career with real purpose?
On our tailored development program within R&D (Consumer Healthcare), you’ll make consumers’ lives easier through our targeted scientific efforts all over the globe. Working through four rotations (each nine months long), you’ll gain the knowledge and skills needed to contribute to the business.
You’ll benefit from a rich variety of structured development opportunities, individual mentoring, exposure to senior leaders and insights into different aspects of our business. From day one, the program’s rotational structure will help you deliver the standards of excellence that we’d expect from our leaders.
Develop your leadership potential and career
Over three years, our Future Leaders graduate program will challenge and support you to grow professionally and personally. Through four stretching rotations, you’ll take on exciting roles across areas like innovation, technical excellence, regulatory, category management or new product development (NPD), as well as a rotation outside of R&D. This unique program will give you a broad understanding of our R&D function within the consumer healthcare business, as well as access to senior leaders and mentors, who’ll help you on your way.
In a Development Sciences rotation, you’d be exposed to our over-the-counter (OTC) and non-OTC operations with a focus on product innovation. You might introduce new products or upgrade existing ones to benefit our consumers. You’d split your time between the lab and working with the project and commercial teams.
In a functional R&D rotation, you could expect to work in areas such as medical, regulatory, project management or R&D operations. You’d learn about our processes and workflows, how we make decisions within R&D, and how we maintain our high-performance standards. You might get to lead an end-to-end regulatory approval process or learn about the life-cycle of our products in the packaging department. Wherever you’re based, you’ll need strong analytical skills, the ability to work across functions and a good grasp of the science behind our innovations.
In your rotation outside of R&D, you could work in areas such as quality, supply chain and commercial. This will help you understand how our business operates and how we get our top-quality products from our laboratories, to our manufacturing operations and delivered to our consumers.
Throughout the program, you’ll be part of a diverse, global network of graduates who are sharing similar experiences in different parts of the world. These supportive peer relationships are a fantastic opportunity to get exposure and inspiration beyond your home market and learn different approaches to your job.
What will you do?
- Learn how our products get developed – from idea to shelf
- Undertake leadership training that will equip you to become a leader of the future and inspire action through influencing and negotiating
- Gain in-depth and cross-sectional insights into the GSK Consumer Healthcare Research & Development function
- Manage projects, prioritize tasks and build relationships with people at all levels of the organization across the business
- Learn about the regulatory environment and how we work within it to make sure our products reach our consumers
- Gain insights into the importance of making sure our products are always top quality
- Learn about process improvement and how we make sure we are keeping pace with ever-developing technologies
- Learn about procedures in laboratory settings
Tailored training – and great career progression
We’ll tailor your training and development to suit your talents and ambition, as well as our business needs, setting you up for success. After you complete our programme, you’ll have the skills to become a leader of the future and progress your career based on your ambitions. There’s no limit to how far you can go with us – it’s up to you to prove yourself.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Stretching your technical capabilities alongside the best scientists in the industry
- Testing and developing your leadership skills in a fast-moving growth-driven culture
- Working on category-defining brands and products which make a real difference
- Making an impact from Day 1
- An ‘enterprise and digital’ approach to innovation and a winning mindset driving the progress of the R&D function
- An analytical mind plus a passion for meeting consumer needs through science
- Strong interpersonal skills – the ability to bring together our science, people and consumers
- The courage and ambition to take on current challenges in our business and take responsibility for end-to-end projects
- Self-awareness and curiosity – a desire to learn
- A proactive and enthusiastic approach
- To quickly become comfortable in a complex environment
- To learn to make decisions in a matrixed organisation
Our Future Leaders Programme is designed to accelerate the development of graduates who don’t have significant experience in the area to which they’re applying. Of course, many graduates who join the programme have worked while studying or after graduation. If you’ve already worked in a professional role in your sector, you’re welcome to apply, but you may also want to look at direct entry roles in our businesses.
- A salary of £30,000
- An annual bonus based on company performance
- Relocation Allowance (eligibility will be confirmed once your first location is confirmed)
- Access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs, which reward exceptional achievements
- Long-term incentives through shared ownership link your rewards to our longer-term performance
- On-the-job experience and formal and informal training and development, delivered through a mixture of coaching, mentoring and formal training programs
We’ll close this vacancy once we have enough applications, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible. You’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!