In the Scientific Computing Department (SCD), we research, develop and support leading edge scientific software and high-performance computational and data storage infrastructures to perform and support world class science. We help research communities to store and transfer research data from small to large scale and provide software to analyse, simulate, visualise and locate research data.
The Data and Software Engineering Group is in the Scientific Computing Department. We design, implement and support a wide range of software enabling researchers to catalogue & discover their experimental data; capture analysis workflows; make links between data, publications and software and support the research software development lifecycle.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The placement will involve contact with developers and project managers in the group as well as STFC scientists and users.
In regards to location, this opportunity will involve hybrid working, likely combining working on site and from home. More details will be discussed with and explained to the successful candidate.
In order to apply for this role you must have:
- Be at university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- Willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them
- Good knowledge of version control systems (e.g. git)
- Good knowledge of relational and/or noSQL databases
- Good knowledge of web development technologies or frameworks (e.g. React)
- Good knowledge of software engineering methodologies
- Good knowledge of automation techniques (e.g. continuous integration, ansible)
Please note: If we receive a sufficient amount of applications, we reserve the right to close the advertisement early.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
How to Apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit your CV and a covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation to join STFC and the role you’re applying for. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit your application without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered. You will only be assessed on the content of your CV and covering letter and not the ‘experience’ section of the application.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!