Based in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, Lewis Crofters is an agricultural co-operative which exists to supply and support crofting within Lewis & Harris and operates for the benefit of its members. They have recently acquired new buildings to utilise for storage and to extend their retail premises.
There is now an excellent opportunity for a 12-month graduate placement to help plan and implement this capital buildings development, and to improve member engagement through written and online communications.
The successful candidate will play a key role in delivering a fully funded project to bring the newly acquired buildings into economic use.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Help to develop a project plan with detailed timelines on funding applications, building design and building works.
- Liaise with potential funders and complete funding applications to secure project investment.
- Provide financial information to company accountant to complete cash flow forecasts.
- Liaise with design team to finalise building designs with board and explore options.
- Provide information to quantity surveyor to tender for building works.
- Liaise with SAOS (Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society) to compile membership proposition package to attract more members.
- Finalise membership database.
- Plan & create member communications, both written and online content, with information on developments within the organisation and the industry in general.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Alasdair Maclean on 01851702350.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Minimum HND Level, preferably Business related. Other subjects accepted provided the candidate has the required skills.
Skills / Experience
- Highly organised with the ability to plan and prioritise workload.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced use of excel.
- Excellent numeracy and IT skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- A demonstrable understanding of an agricultural co-operative within a crofting community.
Project management knowledge/experience.
Knowledge of marketing and it’s principles.
Graphic design skills.
Upon successful completion of the project it is hoped that the graduate placement would result in continued employment with Lewis Crofters, should the candidate meet the organisation’s needs, be a good fit with the core team and would like to develop their career in this field.
An integral part of the ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme is the tailored 4-day residential graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to use ScotGrad’s networks to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Preferred start date: 01/12/2019
Established in 1958, Lewis Crofters was set up to supply the crofters on the Island of Lewis with animal feed, fertilisers, fencing, drainage materials and other general requisites, with a view to ensuring that crofting in the island flourished. They have their own retail premises supplying a wide selection of crofting related products.
Company sector: Other
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!